Hope someone can help.
I've been trying to install McAfee Total Protection 2014 on my father in laws computer for him and although I've managed to install the product it is not letting me activate online.
He previously had McAfee Internet Security installed but got Total Protection 2014 for considerably less than a subscription renewal.
Here's the steps I've gone through so far:
1. Father in Law Installed McAfee Total Protection 2014 from DVD, allowed installer to search for and uninstall previous versions. Product installed but wouldn’t let him activate using activation code / username & password.
2. I said I'd have a look at why it wasn't working. I went to add / remove programs, spotted what appeared to be a different / older version of McAfee. Uninstalled that, still couldn’t activate Total Protection 2014.
3. Decided to uninstall Total Protection 2014 and start from scratch with a clean install. Uninstaller appeared to crash halfway through. After restarting machine could no longer uninstall or reinstall Total Protection 2014.
4. Decided to manually remove all McAfee files from my C:/ drive and in the system registry using RegEdit.
5. Everything seemed to delete okay and I was able to install Total Protection 2014 but again was unable to activate.
6. Used the program uninstaller, which this time didn’t crash and followed up with the McAfee Product Removal Tool as instructed by the McAfee website.
7. Uninstallation appeared successful, installed Total Protection 2014 again, STILL wouldn’t let me activate. After a good few minutes waiting an error message popped up saying 'couldn’t activate product at this time'.
8. Tried using a different email address to activate, still wouldn’t work.
As it stands, Total Protection is installed but working INCREDIBLY SLOWLY. Literally takes minutes for the McAfee control panel window to appear after clicking on the desktop icon and it needs to be activated in 15 days to continue working.
If anyone has any ideas as to what's going on and why I can't activate I'd be greatly appreciative of your help.