2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2014 8:08 AM by 74vega

Is It Possible To Auto-Input CLI Cmd Password Within UNIX Shell Script?

74vega

Let me start by saying I am new to working with Application Control and Change Control products.  I am trying to integrate both products in a Standalone Solaris 8 environment.  My goal is to automate software installation/configuration/updates as much as possible.  One of the challenges I am trying to overcome is developing an acceptable way to call CLI commands within a UNIX Shell script without requiring an administrator to type in the CLI password each time a password protected CLI command is called.  Is there a way to auto-input the CLI password when prompted by the CLI server?  I would like to be able to run critical CLI commands within Shell scripts without first having to disable password protection.

Thanks in advance for any help on this issue.

• 1. Re: Is It Possible To Auto-Input CLI Cmd Password Within UNIX Shell Script?

This feature is not supported on Solaris. This is only available for Linux, AIX & Windows.

Thanks

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is It Possible To Auto-Input CLI Cmd Password Within UNIX Shell Script?
            74vega

Thanks for your response.  I noticed starting with v6.1.0 release, McAfee added that capability with addition of the -z switch.  From their manual:

"Use the -z switch to prevent the system from prompting for the password. This switch can be used with all CLI commands to provide the CLI password (so that the system does not prompt for it). Consider an example. If the CLI password is set and you issue the sadmin loglevel command, the system will immediately prompt you for the password. Using the -z switch, you can issue the sadmin loglevel -z <password> command to provide the password with the issued command"

Unfortunetly, I am currently stuck with integrating v5.1.2 on Solaris 8 OS.  Does anyone know of any clever tricks or tools I could try that would allow me to call non-interactive CLI commands while CLI password is enabled?  This one is tricky because some of the methods that normally work for Solaris system commands do not work in this situation (such as "echo <ThePassword> | sadmin mon list"). 

Thanks in advance for any assistannce.