6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2014 10:36 AM by Peter M

Problems with McAffee Internet Security

jan_john

URGENT PROBLEMS AFTER UPDATE

On booting up this morning with my Pc running XP and McAffee Internet Security, everything was running very slowly, programs taking 4 minutes to open and some time to close down.

I therefore restored the system to an earlier restore point and at first everything worked normally, but as I was online McAffee started to update and finished an update at which point the system went slow again.

I tried another restore point with the same outcome. I tried to force an update but McAffee reports back that my system is up to date.

I then tried the same restore point again, went offline, stopped autoupdates from McAffee and the system is fine again.

McAffee needs to put this right, but I cannot use my PC to use virtual technician as the updates are not up to date,and I do not want to expose my system to the internet with out of date anti virus software.

Can McAffee provide a link to a corrected update on their website?

Hopefully

Jan

• 1. Re: Problems with McAffee Internet Security
          k3tg

Hi Jan....Sounds to me like there might have been some corruption in either your computer or the update from McAfee possibly from the system restore. I will assume you are up to date with all Microsoft updates both critical and any optional ones. If you are running any Adobe programs or Java, etc.

Why not try to uninstall McAfee and reboot and then run MCPR from the link at the top of this page to remove any remnants of McAfee and reboot again. Once you complete that login to your online McAfee account and download and install the software.

The majority of the time this procedure cures the problem but we have moderators and McAfee personell on these forums all the time to help out.

Let us know if this works out for you and thanks for posting.

• 2. Re: Problems with McAffee Internet Security
            Peter M

Stopping the software from updating will only render it useless so there wouldn't be much point in using it.  Better to uninstall completely via Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, then run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

Also it's important that your operating system is totally up to date, especially now that it will be reaching end of life (EOL) on 08 April.

Please ensure that it is XP SP3 and updated and especially make sure that Internet Explorer, whether or not you use it, is up to date (IE8).   The software uses it for rendering.

• 3. Re: Problems with McAffee Internet Security
              thecreator

jan_john wrote:

URGENT PROBLEMS AFTER UPDATE

On booting up this morning with my Pc running XP and McAffee Internet Security, everything was running very slowly, programs taking 4 minutes to open and some time to close down.

I therefore restored the system to an earlier restore point and at first everything worked normally, but as I was online McAffee started to update and finished an update at which point the system went slow again.

I tried another restore point with the same outcome. I tried to force an update but McAffee reports back that my system is up to date.

I then tried the same restore point again, went offline, stopped autoupdates from McAffee and the system is fine again.

McAffee needs to put this right, but I cannot use my PC to use virtual technician as the updates are not up to date,and I do not want to expose my system to the internet with out of date anti virus software.

Can McAffee provide a link to a corrected update on their website?

Hopefully

Jan

Hi Jan,

Here is the situation. I have McAfee Total Protection Beta installed in Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 Fully patched. I run with Real-Time Scanning off.

What happens, is that after an update, McAfee will always do an initial Anti-Virus Scan when first starting up and after installing McAfee Updates. You can control the Startup Real-Time Scanning, only when Real-Time Scanning is on. Meaning, if turned off, you have no ability to change any settings. After you make your changes, you can turn off Real-Time Scanning by setting it to Never. But it will always do an Initial Scan, when starting the computer or after McAfee Updates.

• 4. Re: Problems with McAffee Internet Security
                jan_john

Hi k3tg

Thanks for your reply.

I decided it was a faulty McAffee update and rather than tinker, I waited a few days (but used my laptop to keep up with replies). I went on line again about an hour ago and turned the McAffee updates back on again. This time there was a very short update of a couple of seconds only and I am back in business again!

I tried several restore points from the previous week on the same day that I first detected the problem, but of course had the same problem each time as it was obviously loading the faulty update each time.

I don't know whether this particular problem is mentioned anywhere on McAffee's support area, but I will go and check.

Thanks to others for their replies also.

• 5. Re: Problems with McAffee Internet Security
                  k3tg

I am glad to hear you are up and running and wish you the best.

• 6. Re: Problems with McAffee Internet Security
                    Peter M

Glad you are OK, System Restores can be a mixed blessing with the software as it will inevitably update to what it was, but this time you've struck it lucky it would seem.

All the best ;-)