5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2014 3:36 PM by mcfwk73

DAT not Up-to-date / Expected & Existing

mcfwk73

Hi All,

Installing VirusScan 8.8 Patch 4 on a standalone PC the following issue is identified in MVT

Dat not Up-to-date

Expected:

Existing: 7372

I've tried a reinstall, then a repair, but I cannot get rid of this error (in MVT?).

Please help!

• 1. Re: DAT not Up-to-date / Expected & Existing
          rmetzger

Hi mcfwk73,

Welcome to the forums.

mcfwk73 wrote:

Installing VirusScan 8.8 Patch 4 on a standalone PC the following issue is identified in MVT

Dat not Up-to-date

Expected:

Existing: 7372

So, let me get this straight. You have a PC that is not ePO managed, Correct?

Yet, at this moment it has the correct DAT: 7372. So, what is it you need to fix?

Is this PC connected to the Internet? If not, did you update using 7372xdat.exe manually? And, could that be the reason Expected: does not have a value? That would be a problem, not with VSE but with MVT. (MVT would not be able to 'get' the expected DAT version, if the PC is not connected to the Internet. 'Dat not Up-to-date' would be a logic flaw or mis-report for a disconnected end-point.)

Just a guess; Let us know if this is helpful.

Ron Metzger

Message was edited by: rmetzger on 3/9/14 8:24:03 PM EDT

Message was edited by: rmetzger on 3/9/14 8:53:14 PM EDT
          • 2. Re: DAT not Up-to-date / Expected & Existing
            mcfwk73

Thanks Ron,

So, let me get this straight. You have a PC that is not ePO managed, Correct? - Yes

Yet, at this moment it has the correct DAT: 7372. So, what is it you need to fix? Having some confidence the PC is up to date and has the latest update.  If VS was compromised it may not download any other updates, and its a bit long winded finding the latest DAT.

Is this PC connected to the Internet? Yes. If not, did you update using 7372xdat.exe manually? Through internet first time, then when reinstalled VS I used a downloaded DAT package.  And, could that be the reason Expected: does not have a value? Cant see that.  That would be a problem, not with VSE but with MVT. (MVT would not be able to 'get' the expected DAT version, if the PC is not connected to the Internet. 'Dat not Up-to-date' would be a logic flaw or mis-report for a disconnected end-point.). Agree this appears to possibly be a problem with MVT, but this would be manifest quite commonly if it couldnt pick up the installed DAT version and reported and hopefully patched.

So I dont have a solution yet Ron, despite all manner of uninstall/reinstall, offline or online, but thanks for your help so far.

Any help anyone?

Message was edited by: mcfwk73 on 3/10/14 4:38:07 PM CDT
            • 3. Re: DAT not Up-to-date / Expected & Existing
              rmetzger

OK,

Since most of my premise was based on a Non-Internet connected PC, which yours Is Internet connected, most of my discussion is moot.

mcfwk73 wrote:

So, what is it you need to fix?
              Having some confidence the PC is up to date and has the latest update.  If VS was compromised it may not download any other updates, and its a bit long winded finding the latest DAT.

Since you have access to the Internet, consider running the Update task. If you allowed the unit to update during the setup, the subsequent update task will not update, but report 'Success' after it finishes. This would confirm that the update process is working (within reason) at this time at least. This actually tests network access and the update process, which I am not sure if MVT really tests. I suppose someone from McAfee can confirm this, one way or the other.

I usually check the DAT version by opening the VirusScan Console > Help > About VirusScan Enterprise where I check the Engine and DAT versions. Note that this may misrepresent the versions until a reboot is complete when installing fresh.

I use a batch file to report some of these values. It only reads the registry for these values.

[code]

@echo off

setlocal EnableExtensions EnableDelayedExpansion

for /F "usebackq skip=4 tokens=1-2*" %%G in (`Reg QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVEngine" /v "AVDatDate" 2^>NUL`) do echo "%%G"="%%~I"

for /F "usebackq skip=4 tokens=1-2*" %%G in (`Reg QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVEngine" /v "AVDatVersion" 2^>NUL`) do (

if /i "%%~I" GEQ "0" set /a "_AVDatVersion = %%~I"

echo %%~G=!_AVDatVersion!

)

for /F "usebackq skip=4 tokens=1-2*" %%G in (`Reg QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVEngine" /v "AVDatVersionMinor" 2^>NUL`) do (

if /i "%%~I" GEQ "0" set /a "_AVDatVersionMinor = %%~I"

echo %%~G=!_AVDatVersionMinor!

)

for /F "usebackq skip=4 tokens=1-2*" %%G in (`Reg QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVEngine" /v "DAT" 2^>NUL`) do  echo "%%~G"="%%~I"

for /F "usebackq skip=4 tokens=1-2*" %%G in (`Reg QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVEngine" /v "EngineVersionMajor" 2^>NUL`) do (

if /i "%%~I" GEQ "0" set /a "_EngineVersionMajor = %%~I"

echo %%~G=!_EngineVersionMajor!

)

for /F "usebackq skip=4 tokens=1-2*" %%G in (`Reg QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVEngine" /v "EngineVersionMinor" 2^>NUL`) do (

if /i "%%~I" GEQ "0" set /a "_EngineVersionMinor = %%~I"

echo %%~G=!_EngineVersionMinor!

)

for /F "usebackq skip=4 tokens=1-2*" %%G in (`Reg QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVEngine" /v "EngineVersion32Major" 2^>NUL`) do (

if /i "%%~I" GEQ "0" set /a "_EngineVersion32Major = %%~I"

echo %%~G=!_EngineVersion32Major!

)

for /F "usebackq skip=4 tokens=1-2*" %%G in (`Reg QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVEngine" /v "EngineVersion32Minor" 2^>NUL`) do (

if /i "%%~I" GEQ "0" set /a "_EngineVersion32Minor = %%~I"

echo %%~G=!_EngineVersion32Minor!

)

endlocal

[/code]

I hope this is useful to you.

Ron Metzger

• 4. Re: DAT not Up-to-date / Expected & Existing
                Peter M

Moved this from Home/MVT to Business/VSE for better handling.

• 5. Re: DAT not Up-to-date / Expected & Existing
                  mcfwk73

This issue has now been fixed by an update from McAfee, someone else reported it here https://community.mcafee.com/message/323775#323775

Thanks all.