7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2014 1:59 PM by thecreator Branched from an earlier discussion.

NEED HELP!!!!i cannot turn off the real-time scanning....

endrana

I am having (and have had in the past) this same issue. I can do almost everything else with the program, but when I try to turn the real time scan off (to install programs for instance), I can click on the button all day and nothing happens. The only way I have gotten this to work is by fully uninstalling McAfee, and then completely reinstalling it. Then it will work fine for a month or two, but eventually it will simply stop allowing me to turn it off once again. I am a gamer so I do install a lot of programs, and sometimes this gets very frustrating.

I am using my work-around, just thought you should know it is not an isolated issue.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: NEED HELP!!!!i cannot turn off the real-time scanning....
          Peter M

I gave you your own thread because the software has changed dramatically since 2010 when that other thread was active.

You shouldn't need to turn off Real-Time Scanning for any reason except when doing major system upgrades.  If you are scared it may quarantine something, that would happen anyway once it's reactivated.

However, you should be able to turn it off easily by opening SecurityCenter and going to Virus and Spyware Protection, then Real Time Scanning, provided you are logged in as a user with Adminstrative abilities.

Can you clarify what operating system and service pack (if applicable) this is and what version of IE is installed please? (I need that last bit regardless of whether or not you use IE).

Also open SecurityCenter and click About and tell me the version.

• 2. Re: NEED HELP!!!!i cannot turn off the real-time scanning....
            Tushar Kotwal

Hey Endrana,

you can do exclusions according your requirments so it will allow you to run programs without disturbance. but also do the weekly scan for safty purpose always.

• 3. Re: NEED HELP!!!!i cannot turn off the real-time scanning....
              endrana

Thank you for the replies. I usually do not turn off scanning for anything at all, however I ran into a program the other day that specifically said to disable it, which started me thinking about it again, and when I went and tried to disable it, nothing happened again. I was researching it online to see of others were having a similar issue, and that old post was the only one I could find, prompting me to believe that some other program I run is causing the problem. I just thought I should let others know that I did actually encounter the same issue. Whenever I click to turn off the real-time scanning, either from the Virus and Spyware Protection tab or the link under Navigation, nothing happens. The cursor turns into the pointer hand but clicking does not do anything at all. All other links/buttons seem to work fine, it is just the real-time scan that does not. I am the Administrator, so no issue there.

I am currently running:

Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002)

Internet Explorer version 9.0.8112.16421

McAfee Security Center Version 12.8, Build 12.8.934

Again, thanks for the help, but do not worry overly much, as I said, I do not turn it off, or try to, very often at all. I do run my scans also, and have had no trouble with McAfee at all in years, except for this very minor issue. Also, as I said before, if I uninstall and reinstall it, it will work fine for a time, which is what prompts me to believe that something else that I run is causing the problem. The only other program that I use that I can think of would be Glary Utilities, which I also use regularly.

Again , thanks for the help!

• 4. Re: NEED HELP!!!!i cannot turn off the real-time scanning....
                Peter M

Over the years there have been reports that Glary Utilities removes important registry entries belonging to McAfee software, so if the problem persists, uninstall McAfee via Control Panel > Programs then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot, then reinstall from your online account..   The same applies after using practically any registry cleaner actually.

• 5. Re: NEED HELP!!!!i cannot turn off the real-time scanning....
                  catdaddy

I am inclined to agree with Ex_Brit. The use of Registry cleaners can quite often cause more harm than good. Especially when utlizing the "Registry Cleaner". I personally experienced this last week with my Daughter,s Laptop.

She was experiencing issues as well, and after some examination of programs installed. One of her (Tech Savy) friends had installed "Glary Utilities" In addition she had picked up some (PUPS) due to my Grandson downloading songs from "Lime-Wire", and other "Bit-Torrents".

After removing said applications, and scanning with McAfee Getsusp. I took the liberty to "Block" all (Share-Ware-Freeware, Malicious Sites) in Parental Controls.  Then did a Complete Uninstall/Reinstall...and "Viola" !!!!   Back to normal.

Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 3/13/14 5:00:13 AM CDT
                  • 6. Re: NEED HELP!!!!i cannot turn off the real-time scanning....
                    selvan

Hi endrana,

I would suggest to check for Windows Updates and check to see if there are any Updates related to Microsoft Visual C++ pending. This is been used by McAfee User Interface for Rendering.

Please let know if you have the latest version of JAVA installed as well.

• 7. Re: NEED HELP!!!!i cannot turn off the real-time scanning....
                      thecreator

endrana wrote:

Thank you for the replies. I usually do not turn off scanning for anything at all, however I ran into a program the other day that specifically said to disable it, which started me thinking about it again, and when I went and tried to disable it, nothing happened again. I was researching it online to see of others were having a similar issue, and that old post was the only one I could find, prompting me to believe that some other program I run is causing the problem. I just thought I should let others know that I did actually encounter the same issue. Whenever I click to turn off the real-time scanning, either from the Virus and Spyware Protection tab or the link under Navigation, nothing happens. The cursor turns into the pointer hand but clicking does not do anything at all. All other links/buttons seem to work fine, it is just the real-time scan that does not. I am the Administrator, so no issue there.

I am currently running:

Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002)

Internet Explorer version 9.0.8112.16421

McAfee Security Center Version 12.8, Build 12.8.934

Again, thanks for the help, but do not worry overly much, as I said, I do not turn it off, or try to, very often at all. I do run my scans also, and have had no trouble with McAfee at all in years, except for this very minor issue. Also, as I said before, if I uninstall and reinstall it, it will work fine for a time, which is what prompts me to believe that something else that I run is causing the problem. The only other program that I use that I can think of would be Glary Utilities, which I also use regularly.

Again , thanks for the help!

Hi endrana,

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp  This link will take you to the latest Java available to download. Both 32-Bit and 64-Bit Java, if you use Internet Explorer 64-Bit Version.

Glary Utilities, that you use regularly may be causing you problems with McAfee, causing you extra work.

McAfee includes a tool called Quick Clean, which cleans the Registry also.

And there is a very good tool, which I use called TuneUp Utilities. http://www.tune-up.com/

Comes with a 15-Day Free Trial. You can use whatever you want to use.