1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2014 9:10 AM by exbrit Branched to a new discussion.

New Dell Machine - 12 Months supscription but NOT

jtanna

I bought a brand new DELL machine with McAfee preinstalled with 12 months subscription.  However, my machine says it will expire in one months time.  what do I have to do to get the full 12 months subscription for anti-virus product.

I am not interested for online stuff so I am not worried about that but anti-virus/anti-malware is a must and I must rectify this quickly before it expires.  Dell price included 12 months (default) with option to extend it to 36 months but I did not opt for it.

On my other laptop, Toshiba, it came with 30 days trial version so I removed it and installed Microsoft Windows Defender for Windows 8/8.1 and it works fine but I need to know about this DELL machine now before danger strikes.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: New Dell Machine - 12 Months supscription but NOT
          catdaddy

Hi jtanna,

Given the fact that your subscription to McAffe was "pre-installed" upon your purchase of your (Dell) computer. Are you saying that you recieved a "Prompt" from (Dell) or (McAfee)? Have you had continuos ongoing protection for the last (11) months, and you have only (30) days till your expiry date?

Should that be the case, I would contact McAfee via Phone-U.S.-1-866-622-3911, and purchase directly from McAfee, opposed to obligating yourself through Dell. In most cases you can obtain a "Higher Grade Security Suite" by doing so. Opposed to purchasing through your ISP, or your Manufacturer.

In addition, at a "Reduced" price. Having said this, I would feel better protected by having McAfee as my choice of Security, opposed to "Microsofts Basic Security Essentials" In addition by purchasing McAfee, you will be capable of protecting your other "Computer-Device" as well.

Hope this helped,

Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 3/7/14 12:29:31 PM CST
          • 2. Re: New Dell Machine - 12 Months supscription but NOT
            jtanna

No it is a brand new machine and when I bought it on 3rd March 2014, the description said very clearly that the sub is for 12 months but my machine says it is only 26 days left.  So clearly, something is amiss here.  See this picture (click on it to see it bigger):

2014-03-07_1833.png

There must be something I need to setup to get the full 12 months.  I decided to come here first just in case somebody knows about it but in the evening, I'll post it on DELL community forums to get definitive answer.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: New Dell Machine - 12 Months supscription but NOT
              jtanna

By the way I should have said that I am based in United Kingdom so I guess UK based users must know something about this or McAfee Staff based in the UK should or ought to know..

Thanks.

• 4. Re: New Dell Machine - 12 Months supscription but NOT
                catdaddy

Thank you for better clarification. I would as you stipulated, contact Dell as to how you may "Activate" and create an account for your McAfee Subscription. If not satisfied, contact McAfee directly and explain your issue.

Please note as well, upon downloading /installation of your "LiveSafe" Protection, please ensure the "PROMPT" ( Allow ) anonymous information to be sent to McAfee. This will assist your (Automatic) activation/installation of all features available, for protection of other devices such as your phone, etc.

Regards,

Catdaddy

edit:  Ex_Brit, PeaceKeeper, Hayton should know the "UK" McAfee Support number, since they are Moderators....

All the best !!!

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 3/7/14 12:50:20 PM CST
                • 5. Re: New Dell Machine - 12 Months supscription but NOT
                  exbrit

Sure, if it's the UK Customer Service number you want. It's available 24/7 through Useful Links at the top of this page with a few clicks or...

0800 028 7581

Technical Support is also available through Useful Links, but we don't give out the phone number for that as they prefer you run the MVT first so they can refer to it.

BTW if anyone responds to me here or elsewhere, my email service is down so my response may be delayed.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/03/14 2:05:48 EST PM
                  • 6. Re: New Dell Machine - 12 Months supscription but NOT
                    catdaddy

Thanks Ex_Brit. I was just about to look for the (TS) in regards to the link to create a account through Dell.

• 7. Re: New Dell Machine - 12 Months supscription but NOT
                      exbrit

I have no idea regarding Dell, sorry.

• 8. Re: New Dell Machine - 12 Months supscription but NOT
                        Peacekeeper

Have you right clicked the shield in the system tray and verified the subscription? Did you go through creating an account ie registering? As Cat says above contact Mcafee they will assist you we do not have access to your account to check up the state of it.

on 08/03/14 6:11:12 EST AM
                        • 9. Re: New Dell Machine - 12 Months supscription but NOT
                          jtanna

Yes I did right-click and still it is the same.  See this picture (you need to click on it to enlarge it):

McAfee01.jpg

I will ring the 0800 number now to see what happens.  I expected DELL to notify my details to McAfee so that I get the correct sub but it seems they were only interested in selling me their own product. 

1 2 Previous Next