5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2016 2:54 AM by mekafir

Recommended procedure to migrate CSR DB to an external SQL / Dedicated Server

ser_caretower

Afternoon everyone,

We are looking for the document, KB article, community post where the best practices to move the CSR Database to an external server.

Ideally we would have  the classical KB68427 but CSR orientated.

I have a SQL dedicated server which host all the DBs. Via SQL Management Studio I have created a DB ( CSR_TEST ).

On the ePO, CSR settings I have tried to modify and update the details for the new ePO DB with no luck.

Please see attached.

Question 1: Would be possible to have 2 DB from 2 different CSR servers to be queried and dashboarded from 1 ePO? Lets say CSR1 was installed on a VM and now its getting very slow. As we cant move the DB to a physical one ( attached ) we are planning to install CSR2 on a physical box and point to ePO.

Question 2: If that is possible, or it is the best / last resort, the dataset from CSR1 would stay and would be queriable; at the same time CSR2 will parse the new events from Email and Web via the connector or Log Sources so we can see consolidated reports in ePO?

Questoin 3: Is there any possibility to get half of the Log information from CSR1 and paste into CSR2 ?

Thanks in advance to all the crew.

Regards.

• 1. Re: Recommended procedure to migrate CSR DB to an external SQL / Dedicated Server
          ser_caretower

Also I'm wondering, if the DB is getting full and thats why is unresponsive should we forward all the data to a new DB to prevent that one to keep on growing?

• 2. Re: Recommended procedure to migrate CSR DB to an external SQL / Dedicated Server
            sroering

Answer 1: I don't think that will work. 1 ePO with 2 CSR servers.

Answer 2:  Looks like your premise was based on #1 being possible, which it isnt.

Answer 3: No, In theory you could copy the DB, point a 2nd CSR (with 2nd ePO) at the copy, then delete half the data using DB maintenance.

To point CSR to a different DB, you only need to modify the DB under the Report Server settings (first screenshot in the doc) and then restart the CSR service.  The Database settings under the registered servers will be updated automatically when you restart the CSR service.

EDIT: to "migrate" your existing DB, follow these instructions

1) Take the DB offline under the report server settings.

2) Move the DB according to microsofts instructions

3) Set the new DB address under the report server settings, and put it back online

4) Restart CSR (the registered DB address should update automatically)

Message was edited by: sroering on 3/5/14 5:05:12 PM CST

Message was edited by: sroering on 3/5/14 5:05:37 PM CST
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Recommended procedure to migrate CSR DB to an external SQL / Dedicated Server
              ser_caretower

Hi Sroering,

Thanks for your reply, very useful as always; just realized on the CSR server there is no mysql client by default so I cant enter into the shell. Im downloading a toolset right now.

Another question by the way; if the original DB was created with the CSR Installation Wizard this will crate a mysqlDB type. If I want to use SQL Server ( Microsoft type ) DB, is there any way to export the data from Mysql to Microsoft SQL ?

Thanks for that

Cheers

• 4. Re: Recommended procedure to migrate CSR DB to an external SQL / Dedicated Server
                sroering

according to your screenshots, you are using an external Microsoft SQL database, not MySQL.  So the internal MySQL database isn't being used. You could even disable the service if you wanted.

For using an external DB, you need to create the DB and user account for the connection. Then when CSR connects to the DB for the first time, it will create the table structure.  But CSR doesn't create a mysqlDB type.  The type depends on which DB you are connecting to.  But to answer your question, no, there isn't any supported way of converting data between the two DB types.  But it doesn't look like you are using MySQL, so I don't know where this question is coming from.

• 5. Re: Recommended procedure to migrate CSR DB to an external SQL / Dedicated Server
                  mekafir

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if the below two location is what is needed to change the database from the builtin MySQL to SQL Server ?

DB.JPG DB2.JPG

Do you also need to migrate or export the MySQL database to the SQL database before changing the databse configuration above or it can be safely changed in Production ?