4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2014 1:14 PM by selvan

Frontier Internet service not allowing McAfee protected Computer to get to Internet

ask_ford

Last Summer a friend of mine took their Laptop with Windows 7.x and McAfee AT&T Internet Security Suite Powered by McAfee

to a state/area that had Frontier Internet provided service. The Internet service did not work properly.

Frontier told my friend that they had to uninstall The McAfee program. They uninstalled it and the internet service worked.

My friend guessed that Frontier wanted them to buy Frontiers Virsue protection instead..

Has anybody else come across this situation? Has the problem been resolved to allow us to use our McAfee software instead?

I am planning on taking my Laptop on vacation and it has McAfee protetcion on it and I trust it and don't want to uninstall it.

Any Internet Providers I have to BEWARE of?

Thanks for any help,

Mr Ford

• 1. Re: Frontier Internet service not allowing McAfee protected Computer to get to Internet
          Peacekeeper

Re providers we cannot give you that info here. I would though call support and ask them It is possible that ISP using a login that clashes with Mcafee ir a proxy service. Support should know .

http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

• 2. Re: Frontier Internet service not allowing McAfee protected Computer to get to Internet
            selvan

Hi ask ford,

We haven't heard of these type of issues with Support however there might be instances wherein Proxy Servers are blocked.

I will not be able to comment until I have the below information.

1. The type of Connection that ISP provides whether Proxy or VPN or Usual Consumer Service

2. Whether McAfee is the only Application blocking Access or is it with other AV providers as well - This will help identify if issue is really with AV engines or the ISP itself.

• 3. Re: Frontier Internet service not allowing McAfee protected Computer to get to Internet
              ask_ford

Dear Chinthanai,

Good Morning.

1. It was a consumer service using Frontier as the Internet provider.

2. The McAfee software  was not blocking anything, the Internet provider was somehow setup to not function because the customer had a third party virus protection software (not theirs, but McAfee) running on the LapTop. Once McAfee was uninstalled, things worked. BUT McAfee had been working properly before and worked properly with AT&T as the Internet provider prior to trying it on Frontier. So it wasn't anything wrong with McAfee, it is being guessed that Frontier the Internet provider was attempting to drive up their business for virus protection software, that they wanted to sell the customer. That is why we asked the question does anyone know if that has been resolved so we can use are own choice of virus protection software, when we are connected through Frontier' as the provider for Internet? Is there any other Internet providers that are trying to force customers into purchasing software from them, so that we can try to avoid them too?     

We plan on bringing our Laptop with McAfee running on it for vacations. And we want to be sure we won't be forced into deciding to unistall our McAfee or go without Internet, just because a Internet Provider is trying to force us to buy their virus software. We think it should be illegal for a Internet Provider to force us from using our choice of virus protection.

Thanks for your reply

Mr Ford

• 4. Re: Frontier Internet service not allowing McAfee protected Computer to get to Internet
                selvan

Hi Ford,

As stated earlier we haven't came across such cases where an ISP forces to use their AV Products. Will keep an eye on such instances in the future and let know the status. Thank you for bringing this to our notice..!