1 2 3 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2014 10:00 AM by catdaddy RSS

is Internet Security scanning emails for viruses?

edythe

Have MacAfee Internet Security (win.8)  - first question:

Does the program scan in/out emails for viruses (i know Norton Internet Security does that but it is an 'option' );

Does the anti Spam portion of the McAfee Internet Security work with AOL; Roadrunner(Brighthouse) Gmail or only with Outlook/Outlook Express and if so how do i find and set up either of those programs.  I do have a Tile for Outlook on my computer but don't use that email program;

Also have installed MalWareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware - do either of these work for spam  or is 'spam' something that only comes thru emails?

Thanks in advance.   Edythe

Message was edited by: edythe on 2/27/14 12:38:24 PM CST
        • 1. Re: is Internet Security scanning emails for viruses?
          Ex_Brit

At default settings yes it does, for supported mail clients:

Supported Email Programs

• POP3–Windows Mail, Outlook Express, Outlook, Netscape, IncrediMail, Thunderbird, Becky, Shuriken
          • MAPI–Outlook  (note: NOT IMAP)
          • Web–MSN/Hotmail or email account with POP3 access

However if you tried to save anything to your hard drive from any mail client it would then be scanned in any case.

Spam by definition is unwanted email which McAfee Anti-Spam would handle.  Anti-malware agents like MBAM or SAS are useful tools to scan your hard drive for malware but they don't filter email.

• 2. Re: is Internet Security scanning emails for viruses?
            Ex_Brit

Moved to General Discussion for better handling.

• 3. Re: is Internet Security scanning emails for viruses?
              selvan

Hi edythe,

1. McAfee scans Emails and their attachments when the Scan for Email Attachments option is Selected in Real Time Scanning settings. You can switch off this setting if you wish.

2. McAfee Anti Spam works with Outlook - Click here to see System requirements of McAfee Internet Security 's Anti Spam Toolbar

3. I would suggest you remove the 3rd Party Antivirus applications which might cause Instability and Performance conflicts with McAfee.

Regards

• 4. Re: is Internet Security scanning emails for viruses?
                edythe

checked my email setting - it's set to scan for viruses or does apply only to Outlook/Outlook Express, etc.  i use AOL/GMAIL/ROAD-RUNNER (BRIGHTHOUSE EMAIL PROGRAM).

i only use one internet security program - i only have SuperAntiSpyware and MalewareBytes for malware -they are 'on demand' and not running along with McAfee.  thanks

• 5. Re: is Internet Security scanning emails for viruses?
                  Ex_Brit

Those 2 programmes are fine if used on-demand.  The email scanning covers whatever mail client is installed on your computer as long as it employs POP3, but wont scan webmail such as Gmail viewed on Gmail's site.   As I stated earlier anything saved to your machine is scanned anyway.

• 6. Re: is Internet Security scanning emails for viruses?
                    edythe

Re: is Internet Security scanning emails for viruses?

Those 2 programmes are fine if used on-demand.  The email scanning covers whatever mail client is installed on your computer as long as it employs POP3, but wont scan webmail such as Gmail viewed on Gmail's site.   As I stated earlier anything saved to your machine is scanned anyway.

------------------------------

sorry for sounding stupid i'm not sure i totally understand all you're saying - i'm not really too savy with computers.... 1. how do i know which email system employs pop3? so i guess if it does support pop 3 then my in/out emails are getting scanned ?

i think AOL does give a choice of that or IMAP.. 2. insofar as GMail ''on it's site' - is there a way to use it 'not' on its site so McAfee scans it?  but i think i understand what you're saying about anything 'saved' is scanned...but i don't 'save' my emails - i will let some 'sit' in various folders i.e. inbox/saved, etc.  but not saved to anyplace in this computer - besides with Win 8 which is 'new' to me, i'm not sure how to use the option to save anything - tried that and then couldn't 'find' the file i saved -and if i did find it when ii clicked on it i saw nothing 'whatever' it is that makes up a file - just 'names of paths', etc.  only thing i can open showing in its original form is a photo !!  very confusing (win 8) (had to ditch XP)... i guess my concern bottom line is did i lose any protection i previously had with Norton Internet Securty program and now don't have with McAfee.   thanks again - Edythe

• 7. Re: is Internet Security scanning emails for viruses?
                      edythe

ps:  i do have Outlook mail - but when i 'open' it i only see ability to 'compose & send' ...there is nothing showing insofar as in/out box, etc. etc.  at the bottom of screen there are options for font sizes, things like that - but other email features similar to other programs aren't showing - i'm sure it's something i 'did' or didn't do when i created that account ! it is a 'tile' on desktop and that's only way i can access it.  

• 8. Re: is Internet Security scanning emails for viruses?
                        Ex_Brit

edythe wrote:

Re: is Internet Security scanning emails for viruses?

------------------------------

sorry for sounding stupid i'm not sure i totally understand all you're saying - i'm not really too savy with computers.... 1. how do i know which email system employs pop3? so i guess if it does support pop 3 then my in/out emails are getting scanned ?

i think AOL does give a choice of that or IMAP.. 2. insofar as GMail ''on it's site' - is there a way to use it 'not' on its site so McAfee scans it?  but i think i understand what you're saying about anything 'saved' is scanned...but i don't 'save' my emails - i will let some 'sit' in various folders i.e. inbox/saved, etc.  but not saved to anyplace in this computer - besides with Win 8 which is 'new' to me, i'm not sure how to use the option to save anything - tried that and then couldn't 'find' the file i saved -and if i did find it when ii clicked on it i saw nothing 'whatever' it is that makes up a file - just 'names of paths', etc.  only thing i can open showing in its original form is a photo !!  very confusing (win 8) (had to ditch XP)... i guess my concern bottom line is did i lose any protection i previously had with Norton Internet Securty program and now don't have with McAfee.   thanks again - Edythe

I'll try to be as straightforward as I can be...but remember I have no idea about AOL or Brightmail, it's them you should be asking about setup procedures.

Do you go to the web to read your email or do you read it in an email client that has been setup to bring in email on your desktop?   If you read it on your desktop and NOT in Outlook then the chances are it is brought into that email client by POIP3 protocol, in which case it is scanned.

That all said, email scanning really is just icing on the cake as anything you save to your hard drive is scanned anyway, as I've already stated. 

ps:  i do have Outlook mail - but when i 'open' it i only see ability to 'compose & send' ...there is nothing showing insofar as in/out box, etc. etc.  at the bottom of screen there are options for font sizes, things like that - but other email features similar to other programs aren't showing - i'm sure it's something i 'did' or didn't do when i created that account ! it is a 'tile' on desktop and that's only way i can access it. 

I'm afraid I don't use my Outlook as I find it too complicated.   Your ISP can help you with email settings.

• 9. Re: is Internet Security scanning emails for viruses?
                          edythe

I'll try to be as straightforward as I can be...but remember I have no idea about AOL or Brightmail, it's them you should be asking about setup procedures. I'VE TRIED TO COMMUNICATGE WITH EACH -THERE IS NO 'LIVE' PERSON TO ASK -IT'S ALL READING MATERIAL SO IT ONLY CONFUSES ME BECAUSE I DON'T TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY'RE SAYING ...

Do you go to the web to read your email or do you read it in an email client that has been setup to bring in email on your desktop?  NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT 'GO TO WEB' ...I SET UP AOL BY GOING TO AOL & SIGNING UP FOR EMAIL - BUT TO GET TO IT I HAVE TO FIRST OPEN CHROME THEN THERE IS A 'SIGN-IN' PAGE FOR AOL'S MAIL.  THAT'S ALL I KNOW -   If you read it on your desktop and NOT in Outlook then the chances are it is brought into that email client by POIP3 protocol, in which case it is scanned. INSOFAR AS ''OUTLOOK' I'M NOT SURE WHAT THAT 'IS' ...TO GET TO THE WEB I LAUNCH CHROME ICON, SIGN INTO AOL OR TO ROADRUNNER .  FOR GMAIL I WENT TO IT'S WEBSITE AND CREATED AN ACCOUNT - WHEN I SIGN IN I USE THEIR ICON THAT I HAVE SAVED.  AGAIN I DON'T KNOW IF THIS INFORMATION TELLS YOU ANYTHING THAT ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION... I'M SORRY

That all said, email scanning really is just icing on the cake as anything you save to your hard drive is scanned anyway, as I've already stated.  O.K WHEN YOU SAY 'SAVE TO YOUR HARDDRIVE HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN WHEN IM USING EMAIL ? 

I'm afraid I don't use my Outlook as I find it too complicated. I'M GLAD YOU SAID THAT !!  LOL - I ALSO FIND IT COMOPLICATED SO I'M NOT USING IT - I JUST THOUGHT IF MCAFEE APPLIES ITS SPAM SCANNING TO THAT PROGRAM THAT I 'SHOULD' USE IT.   Your ISP can help you with email settings.  YOU MEAN ''BRIGHTHOUSE'' ?  THEY'LL HELP ME WITH THEIR PROGRAM I GUESS (ROADRUNNER) MAYBE FOR AOL ALSO ?  LOL ...SORRY UNLESS I EMPLOY A COMPUTER PRO FULL TIME I'M JUST POKING IN THE DARK - AS I ORIGINALLY SAID I HOPE MCAFEE IS AS THOROUGH AS NORTON INTERNET SECURITY PROGRAM ...I ONLY CHOSE MCAFEE BECAUSE IT WAS INSTALLED IN THIS NEW COMPUTER AND DIDN'T WANT TO BOTHER HAVING UNINSTALLING MCAFEE & HAVING NORTON INSTALLED ON THIS ONE.   THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH

1 2 3 Previous Next