Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
251 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2014 11:29 AM by JoeBidgood RSS
yougotiger Newcomer 6 posts since
Feb 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 18, 2014 6:29 PM

Dat updates on client that doesn't talk to ePO server

I have several client computers that will be deployed with McAfee Agent and VirusScan software, but that will be unable to contact the ePO server. The Agent configuration has our ePO server as the first repository, and then McAfeeHttp as the second repository. Will the software be able to automatically update the DAT files based on this configureation? Ideally, it should fail to reach our ePO and then go out to the internet and retrieve the updates. I'm guessing that this is the case, but I want to make sure.

• notime Apprentice 137 posts since
    Jul 24, 2007

Please check the following :

1. McAfee ports if closed between the clients subnet and ePO server.
    2. Check the firewall locally > if its on > you need to allow the communication.
    3. make sure you dont have an issue in DNS > you can ping the systems and nslookup the name to get the IP Address

• rackroyd McAfee Mentor 952 posts since
    Feb 3, 2010

When you install VirusScan locally it installs an agent anyway. The difference is that it's unmanaged by ePO so there should be no need to install a separate agent if these machines can never communicate to an ePO server.

Default update configuration will have them attempting to update from McAfee Http then McAfee Ftp but this can also be changed locally.

You would only have the ePO server listed as a update site if they had an agent installed from an ePO server and could communicate to that ePO server to get an updated sitelist.

..But there's no point in installing a separate managed agent if they can never speak to the ePO server...

• rackroyd McAfee Mentor 952 posts since
    Feb 3, 2010

It should do, yes.

Bear in mind the agent logs will also be full of connection errors to the ePO server it cannot reach if you do nothing else.

Before you move it you might want to consider removing it from the ePO console system tree to put it back into a local 'unmanaged' state while it can still connect to ePO to pick up that change request.

Remove from system tree, but don't uninstall the agent would be the choice.

• JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,860 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009

Just to clarify a point here - what my learned colleague meant to say was "remove from system tree and choose the 'uninstall agent on next communication' option"

By choosing to remove the agent, what will actually happen on the client machine is that it will receive the uninstall command, but since VSE is also installed, the agent simply shifts to unmanaged mode, which is what we want.

HTH -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points