1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2014 6:01 PM by exbrit

different/new address for updates?

wierd.science

I've noticed a new/different address when getting updates. 

deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com

deploy.akamaitechnologies.com

the second address has the largest Recieved tally.  Just wondering;  does mcafee nolonger host there own files?

on 2/13/14 2:33:23 PM CST
        • 1. Re: different/new address for updates?
          exbrit

They still do but what McAfee products are you talking about?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/02/14 3:42:30 EST PM
          • 2. Re: different/new address for updates?
            wierd.science

First off;  why no CTRL+V?

macafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx

The link for 7348xdat.exe:

download.nai.com/products/licensed/superdat/english/intel/7348xdat.exe

Downloads from:

a96-16-6-240.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com

edit:

Going to: http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/downloads.aspx caused several connections to deploy.akamaitechnologies.com and deploy.static.akaitechnologies.com. 

on 2/13/14 2:55:35 PM CST
            • 3. Re: different/new address for updates?
              exbrit

Again I ask what McAfee product are you using?

The most recent versions of the home products cannot be updated from that link.

McAfee probably uses Akamai anyway for other products, just a guess, but support would know better.

I have no idea what you mean by "No Ctrl+V?".

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/02/14 4:02:55 EST PM
              • 4. Re: different/new address for updates?
                wierd.science

mcafee security center

I'm just updating the virus def. via that link and it does work.  but the file I just downloaded didn't come from the usual address (as I like to monitor network activity - I have never seen connections to akamaitechnologies.com before) and was wondering if it was safe to apply the superdat?

• 5. Re: different/new address for updates?
                  exbrit

SuperDAT?  There are no such things any more, where are you seeing that?   DAT's can only be deployed to home products with SecurityCenter versions 11.x, i.e. old versions.  What version of SecurityCenter are you using?   (Open and click About or Navigation then About).  Current version is 12.8 or 12.9 and can't be manually updated as they no longer utilize DAT's.

The Enterprise updates that I see there are .exe files so Ctrl+V doesn't apply.

I just tried downloading the DAT and it came from download.nai.com but I believe that would vary wildly depending on your location in the world.

• 6. Re: different/new address for updates?
                    wierd.science

CTRL+V is in reference to this website.  Start a new topic or reply to an existing one and try to paste text.  There is NO PASTE!  There is no CTRL+V or paste via right click on this forum!  WHY?

• 7. Re: different/new address for updates?
                      wierd.science

Mcafee securitycenter

version 11.0

build 11.0.678

• 8. Re: different/new address for updates?
                        exbrit

That version is obsolete so provides little or no protection I would imagine.   I recommend uninstalling and going with either a paid up version or any of the many free security software applications on the Internet.

This forum is operated by Jive so things are a bit weird but you can Ctrl+V to paste, just highlight - right-click Copy, what you want to copy and then do it wherever you want to place it....as follows:

CTRL+V is in reference to this website.  Start a new topic or reply to an existing one and try to paste text.  There is NO PASTE!  There is no CTRL+V or paste via right click on this forum!  WHY?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/02/14 4:30:42 EST PM
                        • 9. Re: different/new address for updates?
                          wierd.science

I've got a paid up version.  my subscription is active for another year.

Why would it provide no protection?  every thing is green.  the application tells me that my computer is secure.  Are you telling me that version 11 never properly functioned?

I don't know how you were able to paste; but I can't seem to paste from the clipboard.  Not a big deal though.

on 2/13/14 3:36:19 PM CST
                          1 2 Previous Next