1 2 3 4 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2014 1:05 PM by mig

How to pause or cancel a scheduled scan

mig

Hi,

My McAfee SecurityCenter recently updated itself to version 12.8.

In the previous version I was able to pause or cancel a scan that was in progress, and see how far through a scan it was, but in this version I can't find any way to do this.

I'm obviously missing something, so can someone give me some hints? When a scan is running, it bogs my PC down so much it is almost unusable, so it would be useful to be able to pause a scan temporarily.

Thanks,

Mark.

• 1. Re: How to pause or cancel a scheduled scan
          Peacekeeper

The pause option and cancel is there. Open Mcafee security centre when scan starts and click on Virus and Spyware protection and scan and you are there. The cancel and pause  option should be there though in mine pause only because available once teh scan reached 50%.

This on the new Beta 13.0 but 12.8 similiar.

If you crash out ie turn off a PC while scheduled scan active the scan will restart next boot. Just a litthe titbit of info.

Set the scan for a quite time and in general settings and alerts make sure the wait till idle option not selected. the scan will start on time.

• 2. Re: How to pause or cancel a scheduled scan
            mig

Many thanks for your reply.

What you said only seems to be true for a manually started scan. If I start a scan manually, I can see the Pause and Cancel butttons and the scan progress, under Virus and Spyware Protection.

But for a scheduled scan there is no indication at all in SecurityCenter that a scan is in progress, and no pause or cancel buttons. The only way I can tell that a scan is in progress is that the CPU usage goes right up, and I can see in the Windows task manager that mcshield.exe is the culprit.

I think that what I'll have to do is disable the scheduled scanning, and only run a manual scan from time to time. Then at least I'll be able to cancel it if it becomes a nuisance.

But I'm not even sure that the cancel button actually works. I just tried starting up a scan and then cancelling it, and 20 minutes later SecurityCenter still says that a scan is in progress.

I didn't ask for this change in behaviour and am not overly impressed with it. Sigh...

Cheers.

• 3. Re: How to pause or cancel a scheduled scan
              Peacekeeper

Sorry I was talking about a scheduled scan I set it to start in 5 minutes and then read the pause and cancel options

Redoing same on a 12.8 install will add to this post when run.

scanbeta.jpg

scan2beta.jpg

and at 60% Pause is available

scan3beta.jpg

This in 12.8.908 as well why it waits to 60% beats me

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/02/14 6:55:45 PM
              • 5. Re: How to pause or cancel a scheduled scan
                mig

Hi Peacekeeper,

Thanks for you help so far.

I have version 12.08.908, but it seems to behave completely differently from yours.

I did as you did and scheduled a scan to start in 5 minutes. When the scan started up, the CPU usage went up to 100%, and I could see that mcshield.exe was taking most of the CPU time.

cpu.png

process.png

So it's fairly clear that the scan is running.

But there is no indication in SecurityCenter that a scan is in progress:

virus.png

If I open up Virus and Spyware Protection there are no pause or cancel buttons to click on, and no indication of the progress of the scan.

I have no idea why my SecurityCenter seems to be misbehaving. I am running Windows XP if that is relevant.

Cheers.

• 6. Re: How to pause or cancel a scheduled scan
                  Peacekeeper

Will check my XP box later on tonight.  MY I7 shows 50-% cpu use of Mcafee on-access scanner.  What specs are your cpu and ram?

Retry a scheduled scan you should see as I showed and a spinninh blue circle in the shield in the system tray.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 12/02/14 6:58:55 PM
                  • 7. Re: How to pause or cancel a scheduled scan
                    Peter M

Just checked my MVS 16.8 in Vista and during a scan the Pause button was greyed out.  I did however have a Cancel button available.   The Pause button seems not to be activated at all.

However there is the indication that a scan is in progress  in the main MSC window.

Could this be an IE issue perhaps as the SecurityCenter relies on an up-to-date and functional IE set to default settings?

(It doesn't have to be your default browser).

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/02/14 7:14:35 EST AM
                    • 8. Re: How to pause or cancel a scheduled scan
                      mig

Peacekeeper:

If I start up a manual scan, I do see the spinning blue circle in the shield in the system tray, I do see an indication of the scan progress in the main window, and if I open up Virus and Spyware protection, I do see the pause and cancel buttons.

But for a scheduled scan, there is no spinning blue circle in the system tray, no indication of the scan progress in the main window, and no pause or cancel buttons under Virus and Spyware Protection.

I have 2GB ram. I can't remember the exact cpu specs but will check when I get home tonight.

Ex_Brit:

I use Firefox as my default browser, but as far as I know my IE is working fine - I do use it occasionally. But I will double check tonight.

Thanks.

• 9. Re: How to pause or cancel a scheduled scan
                        Peter M

Are you sure the scan has actually started when you don't see evidence of it?   The reason I ask is that scheduled scans often start late due to hard drive activity.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next