1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2014 3:35 PM by Peacekeeper

rvzr-a.akamaihd.net (pop-up virus)

1cookie

can any1 tell me how to get rid of this pest???  can McAfee do it?  I've tried many others and the free service McAfee provides, with no luck.  I would hate to spend $89. in this product if it's not going to do the job..

1cookie

• 1. Re: rvzr-a.akamaihd.net (pop-up virus)
          catdaddy

Hi 1cookie,

You may try going to the link provided, and follow the "Step by Step" Instructions. This site on many occasions has proven to be invaluable when getting infested.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/rvzr-a-akamaihd-net-virus/

I might add that these Superb Malware Removal Tools are designed to detect this Malware and such, especially "Malwarebytes" (Free).

This does not mean that your Anti-Virus application is inferior, by no means. Quite often infections as such are " Bundled" with other software installed.

Kind Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 2/9/14 7:49:20 PM CST

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 2/9/14 7:51:07 PM CST
          • 2. Re: rvzr-a.akamaihd.net (pop-up virus)
            Hayton

In this case the malwaretips blog advice is somewhat misleading. This is not a virus, and the "name" is actually a server on the Akamai network.

Alexa (http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/akamaihd.net) gives some insights into this : there is a strong link between "akamaihd.net" and Facebook users from the US; and 45% of those who come to "akamaihd.net" are going to "rvzr-a.akamaihd.net". That speaks volumes : it says, very clearly, "advertising". So someone is making money out of sending users to that address, willingly or not.

The best advice I have seen comes from a Microsoft MVPand from the Community Moderator of a Microsoft forum - see the thread at

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_scanning/accurate-p roven-help-to-remove-rvzr-aakamaihdnet/9f476dcc-ca65-48b8-8a6a-fe247198837a

You should read all the posts to get the most from the advice given. However, here are some of the edited highlights.

There is no virus called rvzr.-a.akamaihd.net  despite the wording used by Malwaretips in their guide.

The issue would appear to be pop-up advertising that happens to redirect to a service that uses that Akamai domain for the ads.

This is what I have found to be the most common solution to eliminating the pop-up ads.

1. Open your browser and disable (uncheck) all extensions. Make a list, then one by one, re-enable each extension to see if the pop-ups start appearing again with that particular extension. Once you identify the responsible extension...permanently remove it.

some of these "doggy" extensions responsible for "rvzr-a.akamaihd.net".

Define Ext 1

Download keeper 1.6

DDoowload keeper 1.6

DoWnlOad KeeEper 1.6

DownnlOadd KeepEr 1.6

DowLOAd keePer 1.6

Google toolbar helper

MyShooper

VisualBee

Voice Search

WordOv

Message was edited by: Hayton on 11/02/14 05:46:33 GMT
            • 3. Re: rvzr-a.akamaihd.net (pop-up virus)
              catdaddy

In regards to the above forementioned information, please note that I ( Indeed ) read all advice and notations from Microsoft. As for the "Malewaretips.com" (Wording and Classification) if you will. Please go read the ( Very First) statement-definition.

I fully concur that the term (Virus) should not be advocated. However this particular (Pest) as the OP described being ..is simply for a fact, a nuisance-Adware-Potentially Unwanted Program. With the characteristics of a (Virus ).

I also am fully aware of the fact that " Akamai" server is utilized for many purposes. To include delivering "Anti-Virus" updates..."McAfee" to be included. As for the Most common Solutions  mentioned above, is equally  stated in "Malware Tips.com" recommendations as well.

And in addition, finally in the "Microsoft Solutions" it clearly states to use their method of "Disabling extensions" and by process and elimination to ( Attempt) to eradicate the annoying-unauthorized (Pop-Up) ads.  Before using the (Removal Tool)..By saying this: Does Microsoft say (Not) to use it?

The clear answer is -(NO) 

Final Assessment- The original poster clearly does not want this particular Adware-PUP- Which has the "characteristics" of a (Virus) but is actually not....on his or her system. Therefore, I see no reason as to why not to take the advice given...Period.

Closing: I fully agree that one should do their utmost to make certain that all advice given, should go to every degree in making certain that it is Legitimate. With all due respect, I feel that I have personally done just that.

As in any case, I may be "Wrong". However at one point in time, (Everyone has) none excluded.

I wish I had more time to delve into more, however after many delays. I am finally scheduled for a Complicated Heart Surgery later this morning. Perhaps if all goes well, I will revisit this discussion.

Sincerely,

Catdaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 2/10/14 9:14:42 AM CST
              • 4. Re: rvzr-a.akamaihd.net (pop-up virus)
                Hayton

My reply to the original post wasn't intended to cast any slurs on the advice you gave, CatDaddy. Malwaretips is a pretty good source of removal information, and they don't recommend suspect tools such as SpyHunter. But in this case I went along with the Microsoft forum advice, partly because there was a possible questionmark over the safety of two of the downloads recommended in the Malwaretips advice (both of those I think are now checked and verified okay to use).

The browser redirect is itself not too much of a problem to remove - a simple PUP. The real problem is whatever introduced it onto the system - which may be a Trojan. That's where the extra steps in the Malwaretips blog would be necessary. If a simple removal of an unwanted extension from a browser is enough to fix a problem, I would always go for the easiest option first. But, in this case, I'm happy to say that I approve of the advice and recommendation you gave.

• 5. Re: rvzr-a.akamaihd.net (pop-up virus)
                  har344

I caught this virus last week.  Along with Plus HD and Joywallet, too.  I'm getting ads all over the place and redirects to download some add-on or other product constantly. I'm getting banner ads and moving, sliding ads that come in from the sides or from the bottom. I've googled this virus and it's common.  The manual fixes don't work.  I'm extremely disappointed that my McAfee anti-virus suite doesn't remove this virus, either.  And I'm suspicious of all of that advice that appears almost immediately on forums discussing this virus for malwarebytes -- which doesn't work either.  What's the point of having McAfee if it can't rid my PC of this virus?  It's not new, and judging by my Google searches, is quite common.

• 6. Re: rvzr-a.akamaihd.net (pop-up virus)
                    har344

And another thing, I wish you posters wouldn't focus so much on whether this annoying thing is called a virus or ad-ware, because it's no consolation either way.  Just help us to get rid of it.  Thank you.

• 7. Re: rvzr-a.akamaihd.net (pop-up virus)
                      catdaddy

Hi har344,

I can certainly understand your frustration. I was just about to "Call it a Night" yet noticed your post.

Please note that before using any of the special "Anti-Malware Tools. You need to remove any unwanted or unintended programs from your control panel. In addition, open each of your browsers and disable and remove any suspicious or unwanted "Add-ons", Tool-bars, and reset your personal settings.

To better assist you in doing so, please click on the link I posted above, and " closely follow the instructions given, especially step 1,2 ,3 regarding resetting your personal settings and such. You may wish to run the Anti-malware Tools suggested in "Safe-Mode/ Networking"

As you will see, "Plus HD" Is one of the annoying programs in which you have on your system.

Here is the link I posted above, please follow the instructions closely in regards to your "Browsers"   Kindly post back your results.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/rvzr-a-akamaihd-net-virus/

Good Night,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 3/10/14 11:23:35 PM CDT
                      • 8. Re: rvzr-a.akamaihd.net (pop-up virus)
                        har344

Malwarwebytes didn't work.   I'm also suspicious that every time I link for advice on how to remove these viruses, I'm given manual fixes that don't work and then universally advised to download malwarebytes.  Is malwarebytes part of this scam, too? 

But really, since this is a McAfee forum, and I pay for McAfee, why can't McAfee fix this?  Why can't McAfee fix what Malwarebytes supposedly can?  What's the point of McAfee if it can't fix these things?

Message was edited by: har344 on 3/11/14 12:21:41 AM CDT
                        • 9. Re: rvzr-a.akamaihd.net (pop-up virus)
                          Peacekeeper

Re malwarebytes read this from 1 of its developers

· ...from one of the lead developers of MalwareBytes (Bruce Harrison) :
                          As far as why MBAMis very good at dealing with this infection( here he is talking about another infection not yours but reason applies), that is simple.MBAM is designed to be very good at dealing with malware that the AVs seem to be having problems with. I do not spend my time making MBAM detect millions of infections that any decent AV already detects as
                          MBAM is DESIGNED to work alongside antivirus software, not replace it. A huge chunk of the research that goes into MBAM revolves around what we see making it into HJT threads as the vast majority of these threads involve antivirus software that was in some way bypassed.
                          Lets settle this now and avoid any further misinformation. MBAM is now a very good backup to any antivirus software and will only get better in the future.MBAM will NEVER add antivirus abilities to its core app and is always advised to be used WITH antivirus software. We actually get this question a lot in the forums and I assure you that we always say :

"No, MBAM can't replace your existing antivirus software and is not designed to."

Re why Mcafee missed it all scanners not 100% effective but I will ask a tech though as I am interested in why.

Re removal try all the Catdaddy suggested and see what happens. there are heaps of other fixes  but will see what the tech says.

Oh and MWB is not a scam we mods use it as backup for Mcafee  as our personal preference of course not Mcafee's suggestion

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/03/14 7:02:45 PM
                          1 2 Previous Next