1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 9, 2014 5:10 PM by Peter M

Rootkit virus

whitej17

I have two computers.  The first one ceased to be able to connect to the internet, with messages about Windows Firewall being off and unable to turn on.   McAfee found no problems.  I googled info and came across a Kapersky Rootkit removal tool.  This found no problems on my first computer, but still neither I nor my ISP could get it to run.  So finally I reloaded the op sys, which was a complete mistake since it is W-XP, for which service packs are no longer available.  This essentially trashed my first computer.

So I copied some files to the second computer by memory stick.  About a minute later, the second computer lost internet connection with the same error messages about the hopelessly lost windows firewall.  I ran the Kapersky Rootkit removal tool, which found "vfmhzwug", and I selected to quarantine it.  A moment later, a McAfee window announced that it had quarantined Generic!bg.ftt.  Still no internet connection, though.  I ran Kapersky again, found vfmhzwug again, quarantined it again, and got the same McAfee quarantine window again.  Still no internet.  I ran Kapersky a third time, and this time instead of choosing the quarantine option, I chose the delete option.  No message from McAfee, and both the windows firewall and the internet connection returned a minute later.

I would send the offending file to McAfee if I could find it to send.  But I am still worried about the memory stick.  How can I be sure that it is clean?

• 1. Re: Rootkit virus
          Peter M

I moved this from Community Help which isn't the right spot, to Malware Discussions > Home User Assistance, a better spot for this.

First of all XP service packs are still available for download online if you really search for them and indeed I keep a complete XP SP3 image in  the Cloud just in case I ever need it, but that's irrelevant now and in any case XP reaches EOL (end of life) on 8 April this year.

It sounds, from what you said, that in transferring items from one machine to another, you also transferred some infection.     The only way to make sure the USB stick is fine is to scan it with a reliable antimalware scanner such as Malwarebytes Free or you could always format it clean.

McAfee also has 2 tools that could be useful, Stinger and RootkitRemover.  See the last link in my signature below for suggestions and links to various tools.