1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 9:54 AM by kevj

LiveSafe Update Server Addresses

kevj

At my university we run the Bradford Campus Manager system. When a student arrives in college and they try to connect to the wifi for the first time they enter a registration VLAN and are required to run a scan before they can get full internet access. As part of this process they may need to update their antivirus so we have a list of sites that are whitelisted in the registration VLAN to allow external access. We currently have www.mcafee.com and nai.com whitelisted for McAfee - this has worked before for other antivirus programs like VirusScan or Antivirus Plus which we support but McAfee LiveSafe cannot update in the registration VLAN. When I ran a network capture I found that it was connecting to 161.69.12.221 but does anyone know what other update servers the program connects to or the web addresses we should add to the whitelist to allow it to update? Until we can confirm the update servers addresses we can't add support for it for students but the program doesn't look to update via www.mcafee.com like the previous home versions we support.

• 1. Re: LiveSafe Update Server Addresses
          Peter M

At first glance I would say download.mcafee.com but actually I'm not certain so I emailed someone in support to see if they can clarify it for you.

• 2. Re: LiveSafe Update Server Addresses
            kevj

Thanks, we have *.mcafee.com and *.nai.com whitelisted also so any address like download.mcafee.com should work as well.

• 3. Re: LiveSafe Update Server Addresses
              Peter M

Good but I don't think it's that anyway.  My contact will hopefully post soon.

• 4. Re: LiveSafe Update Server Addresses
                catdaddy

If you were to "Ping" download.McAfee.com, you will see that it is "Akamai.net w/ Ip address.

The IPAddress 161.69.12.221 is associated with the "McAfee Update Launcher"

Other than that, One with more knowledge will have to further address your issue.

I might add, there is a (list) or "TS # of URL,S which you can add to your Local Intranet, however whether it is still useful or not is the question? I have not the time to look it up,as I have to head to Club Med for my Surgery. As Ex_ Brit stated, he has a Contact whom should be able to address,or further expand on your issue.

Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 2/4/14 2:05:41 PM CST

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 2/4/14 2:08:33 PM CST
                • 5. Re: LiveSafe Update Server Addresses
                  selvan

Hi kevj,

Try adding *.update.mcafee.com and check if it helps. The update server might be changed frequently not sure though however you can add this address and post back if it resolves the issue.

• 6. Re: LiveSafe Update Server Addresses
                    kevj

Hi Chinthanai Selvan P, if we have *.mcafee.com whitelisted then any address like *.update.mcafee.com should be included as part of that - for example I can get to blogs.mcafee.com from our registration VLAN without any additional configuration.

• 7. Re: LiveSafe Update Server Addresses
                      manoj.kulkarni

Hi kevj,

Can you please let me know the version of McAfee product that is installed on your machine.

In addition, please ping download.mcafee.com and check if you get a response.

• 8. Re: LiveSafe Update Server Addresses
                        kevj

It's McAfee LiveSafe - Internet Security v12.8.903. Under the 'About' window it lists the 'McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware' component as v.16.8, Build 16.8.708, Engine Version 1785.0.

I can't ping the address from the test machine or my own workstation which has full internet access:

S:\>ping download.mcafee.com

Pinging a2047.x.akamai.net [77.67.21.214] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 77.67.21.214:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

*.akamai.com

*.akamai.net

*.akamaitech.net

are whitelisted in our registration network.

• 9. Re: LiveSafe Update Server Addresses
                          catdaddy

I assume you attempted to ping download.mcafee.com in "Command Prompt"?

In addition, did you "Run as Administrator"?

Also when typing in the command....after typing in "Ping"  place a space before you add download.mcafee.com. If after making certain such (Which you may have initially done)  you still cannot ping this IP Address...then there are more issues at play.

I might add that the latest MSC- Version-Build is 12.8.(Build 908) or Higher?  Your Anti-Virus and Spyware Version-Build is current.

Having said that, I am also still running the (12.8.903 )  so that should not cause an issue.

The most current "Engine Version" is ( 1792 ) , with todays update coming.

Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 2/7/14 8:48:41 AM CST

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 2/7/14 8:50:51 AM CST
                          1 2 Previous Next