0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 10:01 PM by jjc225

An Observation of McAfee Total Protection

jjc225

I've been using McAfee Total Protection on three of my home computers.  One is an older Lenovo running 32-bit Vista op.  Another is a several year old Compaq running 64-bit Windows 7.  And the other one is a 3 and 1/2 year old Lenovo running 64-bit Windows 7.

I've used a number of well-known and not so well-known av security software over the years.  I've been using McAfee on these three computers for about two months.  Here are my observations:

- Security seems excellent.  So far no bad items on any of the computers, and occasionally second opinion checks with software like Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro find nothing additional that McAfee missed.  It seems like the firewall does an excellent job blocking potentially dangerous items.  SiteAdvisor also seems to do an excellent job, doing good work in the background with a minimum of pop-ups or alerts.

- Updates are excellent, but sometimes they slow down the computer.  Why, for example, does the GUI need to close to complete the update process?  This seems odd and unncessary.

- Indeed, slowdowns seem to be the only thing that detracts from this product.  I have noticed slowdowns when moving between user accounts on the same computer.  Also, if the computer has been idle for awhile and updates or other background operations are carried out, this is when surfing the Internet may be somewhat compromised.  Also, sometimes game play runs into some slowdowns as well.

- Many of the other features of the program are excellent, including the vulnerability scanner and the quick clean function.  This is one of the best utility cleaners I have used anywhere.  Oh, but sometimes choices don't stick and get reversed when it comes to not wanting scheduled scans on av or vulnerability.  I have not used the file lock or backup yet, but I expect these to be top notch as well.

- Overall, I would say this is a very solid product.  If the general slowdown issues could be solved, I would have to say it is one of the best security options for personal computers available today.  Hopefully with the conversion over to Intel Security some of these issues will indeed be solved.