3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2014 12:51 PM by Peter M

Concerns regarding privacy policy

jasonbrown

Hello,

I am using the McAfee Security Center software pre-installed with my Dell computer. I think McAfee is a great software but I have a few concerns with the privacy policy.

From reading the privacy notice on the website, it is unclear of what information actually gets shared with McAfee.

For instance-

1) When I run any scan on my computer, are the files or any part of the files (documents, emails, photos, videos) shared?

2) Are my internet activities - browsing history, data sent to third parties - intercepted and deliver to McAfee?

Thank you in advance. Would like to hear any response before I recommend this software to anyone.

• 1. Re: Concerns regarding privacy policy
          Peter M

1)  No, just basic computer details.

2)  No I don't believe so.

Customer Service would hopefully be able to clarify that for you.  It's a free phone call or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 2. Re: Concerns regarding privacy policy
            jasonbrown

McAfee (02:25:31):
            No files will be shared with McAfee while running scan.

Customer (02:26:49):
            What about browsing histories?
            Customer (02:26:55):
            How is that info used?

McAfee (02:27:08):
            McAfee will monitor the activitied on the internet. That means, when you go on a website which may cause infections it will give a warning about that.

Customer (02:27:55):
            So McAfee doesn't store a list of URLs I visited?

McAfee (02:28:09):
            No, McAfee will never store such details.

• 3. Re: Concerns regarding privacy policy
              Peter M

I thought so, hope that answers your questions.

To me it would be illogical for a security software company to act in an insecure manner like that.

We'll leave that kind of thing to certain Governments,  not to mention specific ones of course.