9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2014 1:03 PM by Peter M

is there a way to clear security-log?

edythe

in Navagation/security logs - is there a way to clear the log - there are so many entries - i remember with Norton IS, i was able to do that ...thanks

also, just now while at 'navagation' clicked on 'security history' -nothing happened ..area just stayed 'frozen' on screen  thanks -edythe

• 1. Re: is there a way to clear security-log?
          Peter M

No official way I'm afraid, but the logs do self-destruct after about 30 days.

Technical Support may be of more help, it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 2. Re: is there a way to clear security-log?
            edythe

OK - don't think i've had this computer/mc affee for a full 30 days yet  - i'll contact CS tho - what's to lose?   lol --- thanks again !!!  edythe

Message was edited by: edythe on 1/31/14 9:43:57 AM CST
            • 3. Re: is there a way to clear security-log?
              Peter M

Good luck.  I know those logs look ominous but we all have them and they really don't occupy too much space apparently.

I could be wrong with the 30 days, it could be 60, it's what we were told ages ago.

• 4. Re: is there a way to clear security-log?
                edythe

ok - i can 'wait' - LOL -  just wanted to make sure this was 'normal' and that i'm not 'clogging up the gears' with all of that 'history  in place - did check and my log started 1/14/14 (not on purpose, believe me)   that's the day i guess i fired up this new computer with mc affee ''trial' in place & registered ...(i kept it and paid for a year) ...had NISS - could have had it transferred but i couldn't have dealt with any more possible 'glitches' (if any) during the removal of MCafee & transfer of Norton... it was a 'bear' just doing all new things i.e. computer/wi-fi router/printer -software associated with each install - so it was much easier for me just to leave McAfee and hope for the best - honestly i never had problems with Norton but it sure slowed my computer and i had many 'stalls' also ...  thanks again for all your kind help !   edythe (ps:)  will check middle of Feb to see if a new log started - right now i have 2697 entries - so i assume i'll be lower than that figure the beginning of feb. 

Message was edited by: edythe on 1/31/14 10:17:05 AM CST
                • 5. Re: is there a way to clear security-log?
                  Peter M

I have 2674 entries in mine and I now see after checking again that you can go back up to 90 days, so my original 30 days statement was in error.   The number of entries will vary from setup to setup depending on how they connect to the Internet and what with.

I wouldn't let it worry you.

• 6. Re: is there a way to clear security-log?
                    edythe

ok it won't worry me if you say not to - LOL - i'm just soooo curious about things i guess - the more i find out the more terrifyingly evident it is that i know nothing !!!!  LOL ...  unfortunately that 'curiosity' can get me into hot water by clicking someplace i shouldn't  IE:  i have AOL free mail - i'd like an icon on either desktop and/or taskbar.  I don't have an app showing for it (Win 8) and doubt one was included with the 'free email' program .....  I'm using Google Chrome browser  so perhaps in its preferences /settings area i can choose  make the aol sign-in page open first...( ...i'm going to try that because right now i do have AOL browser as default -load but then i have to bring up the email yeah, how lazy can you get ?!  )   if i disappear, you'll know why !!!!   thanks again ...  edythe

------------------------------

OH MY GOSH!  i did it ! changed Chrom's load-up settings and  i now have AOL email sign=in show up when i boot the puter !!!   so cool !   the problem is after i leave that site i have to depend on a 'tab' to get me back ...i'd still love an icon - LOL  

Message was edited by: edythe on 1/31/14 12:12:08 PM CST
                    • 7. Re: is there a way to clear security-log?
                      Peter M

Edythe, 14 years ago or so I was still refusing to even think about a cell phone, let alone a personal computer.  My first venture into the latter was through my cableco with WebTV, then I finally succumbed and bought a machine with the then new XP. (no service packs yet).  I also gave in with the cell phone as my doctor insisted on it - the rest is history as they say.

Things can seem daunting at times but often they aren't when you really look into it.      One can always ask   ;-)

• 8. Re: is there a way to clear security-log?
                        edythe

hi - well i don't feel ''alone' - so delighted you are enjoying it all also - i know there is no such thing as a 'stupid' question !   Only use a 'disposible' simple cell phone and    kicked & screamed into the Android-tablet world - now have one and love it !! so does DH who can't even use or ever cared to figure out a computer but he's hooked now on the 'tablet' !!    go figure    LOL

Message was edited by: edythe on 1/31/14 12:51:16 PM CST