1 2 3 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2014 8:17 AM by dendrite

Annoying McAfee Exclusive Deal

dendrite

Spoke to support last and asked why McAfee has started prompting me with annoying offers like Registry Power Cleaner - see attached

There response was confusing "wait 2 days and it will stop" has anyone else had this?

John 

• 1. Re: Annoying McAfee Exclusive Deal
          Peter M

Did you by any chance buy McAfee through a Winferno website?   That product is one of theirs and through a sales agreement McAfee and Winferno plug each others products.   That said make sure you haven't accidentally installed McAfee Security Scan Plus which is a sales tool and along with other makers' products, an optional download with many Adobe products  (Adobe Flash, Reader etc).

Check Control Panel > Programs to see if it is listed and if so, uninstall it.

I personally haven't seen that one so can't tell but would assume if you choose the option 'No thanks' or whatever, and then click OK it should disappear for good.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Annoying McAfee Exclusive Deal
            dendrite

Peter,

I bought the software directly from McAfee web site some years ago.

No Security Plus, I am pretty good at not installing sneaky add ons.

This really looks like a McAfee thing as it is very similar layout to the other annoying pop up telling me other PC's on the network do not have McAfee Software

Thanks in advance for any further help

John  

Message was edited by: dendrite on 30/01/14 09:47:31 CST
            • 3. Re: Annoying McAfee Exclusive Deal
              Peter M

Hi John,

I wasn't denying it was a McAfee popup, just that the product belonged to Winferno.   I was just speculating that maybe the software was bought  through them, obviously wrongly.

Unfortunately we have tried many times in the past to convince the marketing depatment that too many popups is not a good idea with feedback through our contacts in support, but it has fallen on deaf ears.

Maybe Technical Support may have some tricks up their sleeves to deal with it, you are certainly welcome to try and it's ffree of charge by phone or online chat.

See the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 4. Re: Annoying McAfee Exclusive Deal

personally I've never seen a popup from the products bought from the McAfee Site, only from those bought at a discount through an affiliate (like WinFerno) as you mention, or a manufacturer like Dell.

You might have done something as simple as bought McAfee after clicking a link sponsored by WinFerno - that would direct you to the McAfee Store, but the purchase would still have been credited to them (and thus they own the right to send you adverts).

I thought there was a way to view the Affiliate ID in the console - I must admit I can't remember how though.

very strange.

• 5. Re: Annoying McAfee Exclusive Deal
                  Peter M

Yes there is a way.  Open SecurityCenter and click About.  Look for Affid details.

• 6. Re: Annoying McAfee Exclusive Deal
                    selvan

Hi dendrite,

Please post the affid of your McAfee product...Refer Image below

affid.jpg

• 7. Re: Annoying McAfee Exclusive Deal
                      deja

I'm having the exact same problem. I didn't purchase McAfee through a Winferno link or anything like that, it has been an ongoing subscription for years without any problems and it's being popping up for days.

My Affld says 0, if that helps.

Message was edited by: deja on 31/01/14 10:00:47 CST
                      1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: Annoying McAfee Exclusive Deal
                        dendrite

Phew I was beginning to think it was personal ...... surely someone from McAfee's knows what is going on

Message was edited by: dendrite on 31/01/14 10:28:18 CST
                        1 2 3 Previous Next