Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
962 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2014 11:54 AM by Brad McGarr RSS
lpullen Newcomer 7 posts since
Jan 29, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 29, 2014 1:42 PM

451 all mx servers are unavailable for domain roadrunner.com

We are still seeing this issue (01-29-2014) with Time Warner.  More specifically with roadrunner.com and maine.rr.com recipient addresses.

Recipient Disposition: [250 Queue (RCPT Domain roadrunner.com, Message Domain *****.org); Mode: ; Queued: yes; Frontend TLS: yes]
Detail: first attempt failure: 451 all mx servers are unavailable for domain roadrunner.com

I obfuscated our domain but can provide if neccesary.

I have already tried working with Time Warner AND our provider Excal Micro.

Many of our Members are on TW email and this is having a real impact on our business.

• Brad McGarr McAfee Employee 154 posts since
    Dec 4, 2012

Hi lpullen,

We have been seeing these temporary failures for a while with RoadRunner. The issue is that RoadRunner/Time Warner intermittently throttles connections from large email providers including McAfee. All that McAfee can do is temp-fail the message and retry for up to 5 days or until RoadRunner accepts the message. Customers of Time Warner may need to contact the provider regarding their throttling practices, however McAfee is unable to force RoadRunner to change their policies as an unaffiliated third party, nor can we force their servers to accept the messages. At this point, the only choice we have is to queue and re-attempt messages that fail due to throttling.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Brad McGarr
    McAfee SaaS Email & Web Protection
    Technical Support Technician I (Legacy & Partner Support)
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft Technology Associate - Windows OS | CompTIA A+ Certified Technician | CIW Web Foundations Associate
    Visit my blog: Brad's Corner - Insights from SaaS Email & Web Security Support https://community.mcafee.com/blogs/brad-denver

Frequently Requested Information
    Dec 4, 2012

It would not, DNS changes or upgrading to a more robust DNS Package through GoDaddy would not resolve these types of issues. We have feedback loops in place with Time Warner to alert us if spam messages reach their system, and at this time those alerts have been quiet, indicating that the throttling/greylisting is due to volume and not any actual threat identified.

Brad McGarr
    Microsoft Technology Associate - Windows OS | CompTIA A+ Certified Technician | CIW Web Foundations Associate
    Visit my blog: Brad's Corner - Insights from SaaS Email & Web Security Support https://community.mcafee.com/blogs/brad-denver

Dec 4, 2012

Yes, in the same sense that every drop of rain impacts the volume of the river. But unless you send an enormous, six-plus-figure volume of mail daily to RoadRunner addresses, it would be quite unlikely that your volume plays a significant role.

Brad McGarr

Dec 4, 2012

You will see an additional disposition once the message is delivered, something to the effect of delivered from queue, but it won't show until we can successfully hand the message off (plus about 5-10 minutes processing time as the logs are updated). In some cases a message isn't delivered for an hour or more.

Brad McGarr

Dec 4, 2012

Unfortunately, no. Server administrators are free to enforce any policies they choose to including rate limiting. Much like some administrators use old-school anti-spam tactics of requiring their server to wait 10-20 seconds before issuing a 220 banner, even though that tactic does not work well any longer and tends to cause havoc with legitimate senders, no one on the outside can force the administrator to change this practice. Customers of RoadRunner have the most leverage though, and can usually get further with RoadRunner support in voicing their opposition to arbitrary rate limits.

Brad McGarr

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points