Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
332 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2014 3:28 AM by SergeM RSS
awsomaha Newcomer 26 posts since
Oct 27, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 29, 2014 8:06 AM

VSE 8.8 On demand schedule

Just a quick question for you business anti-virus gurus.  My company is looking into adding an on-demand scan for desktops and laptops.  Desktops I'm not too concerned with because they are "always on" but laptops.  How do you handle getting those scanned?  I'm debating on telling users to leave there computer on at home one night or something along those lines, what do you guys do?

• rothman Newcomer 27 posts since
    Jul 23, 2013
    1. Feb 19, 2014 10:22 AM (in response to awsomaha)
    Re: VSE 8.8 On demand schedule

I've managed different AV environments in multiple enterprise environments and the schedules are usually very similar:

Desktops: ODS sometime during the work week at around 12:00am / 1:00am (Fridays may be best)

Laptops: ODS on Fridays starting at around the "normal" lunch hour - 11:30am / 12:00pm

*note* An exception client task configured for those who work through lunch to have it run close to the end of the day - 3:00pm / 4:00pm

Servers: ODS on various days throughout the week (server group A on Mondays, server group B on Tuesdays, etc.) at around 12:00am / 1:00am

We also offer the end-user the option to defer the scan one time, for 12 hours.

• SergeM Apprentice 249 posts since
    Aug 12, 2008
    2. Feb 26, 2014 3:28 AM (in response to awsomaha)
    Re: VSE 8.8 On demand schedule

SergeHi,

We scan all PC (workstation & laptops) regardless once a week during lunchbreak time. 

This means the laptops are usually scanned on Thursdays more or less between 11:45AM and 2PM - local time.

We chose Thursdays because some people like to leave early or take a day off on Fridays.  We chose lunchtime because we hope this will impact users the least.  We hope that the machines will be scanned in less than an hour, but will stop the scan after 2.5h anyway to let people work a little .

For laptops I've been dreaming about setting up an ODS during the week-end as people often use them during the week-end.

We also do a very short (~2-3 minutes) scan of active processes and memory twice a day.

For servers we "talk" with the server managers/admins and let them define when they can scan the servers - it depends on the server type.

We haven't had too much complains about this so far.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points