5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 8:37 PM by Peter M

Virus Can't be Removed - HELP! Sefnit-FAS!70F8EB6DB3C3 (Trojan)

andrewc

This morning, my PC had a virus restart message, so the PC was restarted. It seemed fine after restart, until a message kept coming up on the security history saying "Sefnit-FAS!70F8EB6DBC3 Trojan" It worked alright, however.

Then, an AOL message popped up with an error, which is virus related. I did a full scan and here are the results and the AOL message.

However, when I closed the scan, McAfee said my computer was secure, but I don't see how it can be?

I'm panicking, and don't know what to do, so please help!!

mcafeepic.png

Message was edited by: andrewc on 1/28/14 12:03:43 PM CST
        • 1. Re: Virus Can't be Removed - HELP! Sefnit-FAS!70F8EB6DB3C3 (Trojan)
          Peter M

Try booting into Safe Mode by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up.  Then re-run McAfee.  You wont be able to call up SecurityCenter but you will be able to right-click the taskbar icon and select Scan or open Computer and right-click the hard drive and select Scan.

You could also try running Malwarebytes Free linked in the last link in my signature below.

This is a Botnet so can be stubborn.  So to avoid having to pay for professional virus removal I suggest you also run Hijackthis and post its log as instructed farther down that last link.

• 2. Re: Virus Can't be Removed - HELP! Sefnit-FAS!70F8EB6DB3C3 (Trojan)
            andrewc

So, I leave the computer and it goes into sleep mode. I come back, and the popup message no longer happens and this "virus" no longer keeps showing up on my security history. I do another full scan (which finished in 8 minutes, really fast?), and it only shows up on the history, as a result of the scan. The scan results (posted below) say it's fine.

I'm glad this is no longer seemingly an issue? But very confused, as to why this is? Should I be concerned, or just let things be now? Could it still be lurking somewhere, or what?

mcafee3.png

Message was edited by: andrewc on 1/28/14 1:46:47 PM CST
            • 3. Re: Virus Can't be Removed - HELP! Sefnit-FAS!70F8EB6DB3C3 (Trojan)
              Peter M

It's in the Quarantine folder where you can now delete it.    Click Navigation at the right side, thewn scroll down to Quarantined and Trusted Items and click those sections to expand.   Make sured you click Delete.

It's optional if you want to run those other suggestions I made.

• 4. Re: Virus Can't be Removed - HELP! Sefnit-FAS!70F8EB6DB3C3 (Trojan)
                andrewc

Thanks much for all of your help and advice. Always very helpful! And I appreciate it.

Last question though, and maybe it's kinda an obvious one, but what particularly causes these viruses? Can the computer just get one at any time?

• 5. Re: Virus Can't be Removed - HELP! Sefnit-FAS!70F8EB6DB3C3 (Trojan)
                  Peter M

It's often hard to pinpoint a cause but usually it's a combination of  a system needing updating (especially all the browsers whether or not you use them, and their add-ons), careless surfing and/or downloading and/or file sharing.    But then in some case simply clicking a bad link in an email can get you in hot water.  Motto there would be don't trust emails from unknown sources.   Plus there is no such thing as the perfect 100% malware-proof antivirus, it simply does not exist.

Just be extra careful, always apply updates when available and be aware of extra tools and tricks that can be used in emergencies.