6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2014 11:45 AM by meforum

Migration Problem ePO 4.6.7 to ePO 5.1 with local SQL express using UpgradeCompatibility tool

dodger9876

Hi community,

we have a serious problem with our ePO server migration.

We just tried to do it with the UpgradeCompatibility tool comming from a W2K3 Server with an cleaned up ePO 4.6.7 server (which means no incompatible products are left). After creating the migration.zip and unpacking this one on the new W2K8R2 machine and starting the setup afterwards, we´re stuck at the SQL setup page. There the old server name and SQL instance is displayed and it seems as the setup tool tries to connect to the old W2K3 server without any options to change this.

So our question is, is the UpgradeCompatibility tool capable of migrating an ePO instance with a local SQL express installation to a new installation also using a local SQL express installation and if the answer is "yes" how could this be done? If the new ePO server would finally be able to connect to the "old" one, will the DB remain there forever or will it/can it be tranfered to the new one. Or is the tool just for migration ePOs with a full SQL server in the backend?

Thanks for any hint & regards

Martin

• 1. Re: Migration Problem ePO 4.6.7 to ePO 5.1 with local SQL express using UpgradeCompatibility tool
          rgc

Hi Dodger9876,

1) According to your query, If you are looking the database SHOULD be on new server as epo resides. If yes,

Then, before collecting the "Migrate.zip", move the EPO DB from OLD to NEW server by installing SQL on new server and restore this DB.

Then, from old epo point the database on new server by following the KB68427 (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB68427)

>> Once the database is moved to new EPo server and working fine, collect the migrate.zip and then restore on New EPOs erver and then run the EPO 5.x setup to get this happen.

2)

Another way, If you have already collected the migrate.zip, pointing the DB in old epo server and then restored the migrate.zip on new epo server and then running the epo installation. It will struck at DB page and point to old epo server instance and the db server, continue with this info and make sure the epo is installed completely without any errors and able to login and from core/config page pointing to old epo server.

After this you can follow the KB68427 to move the database to another server, as this time you need to install the SQL on new EPO server and then restore the DB as needed and change the core/config page as per the article.

I hope the above information is answered your queries ?

Regards,

RGC

• 2. Re: Migration Problem ePO 4.6.7 to ePO 5.1 with local SQL express using UpgradeCompatibility tool
            meforum

hi,

so the problem is that you don't want to use the old db? (and I woul recomment to NOT use it, too).

So in that case I woul follow the steps as above:

1. make backup of current db

2. restore the db to your new sql server

3. run migration tool on old server

4. stop old epo

5. run it (migration.zip) on new server

6. then DIRECTLY go to core config (or db.properties) and change config to point to new db

7. update to v5

A different way would be

A) Setup a fresh ePO 5 server and move clients from old to new server

B) restore/migrate ePO 4.x server to your new system (+move db) (KB71078, KB68427 ) (I think thats mainly what migration tool does ) and then make an inplace update to 5.x; if everything is ok, you could switch the clients from old to new server (eg via DNS or config setting "published dns name / ip")

Well - I like B) as it gives me full control over what is done AND - just in case sth. went wrong, needs more time etc - production server is still running and handling my clients.

• 3. Re: Migration Problem ePO 4.6.7 to ePO 5.1 with local SQL express using UpgradeCompatibility tool
              dodger9876

Hi there,

thanks a lot for the input.

We just tried one solution yesterday evening, but without success at the first try (thank god for the idea of "snapshots"... :-) ) and we´ll try some more of the suggested scenarios.

Regards

Martin

• 4. Re: Migration Problem ePO 4.6.7 to ePO 5.1 with local SQL express using UpgradeCompatibility tool
                dodger9876

Hi Community,

finally we managed to get around a lot of obstacles and we successfully migrated the ePO server to a new machine with all the EndpointEncryptions keys and so on...  (the upgrade path is a horro scenario...^^). The database is still on the old machine and everything works fine...

So far so good... BUT now trouble starts again...  :-(

As we do want to have the system back in one box we´re trying to migrate the database to a locally on the ePO server installed SQL 2008R2 Express database with SQL Management Studio Backup-Restore, which is not a too tricky job. Instance name, database name and all other settings were kept. The problem is, after everything seems to work out fine (db ports checked, username/passwords check, modified db.properties, double checked everything...http://.... /core/config check says "successfully established db connection") The server refuses to start correctly...

It seems that for what reasson ever the server is not accepting the moved database. On the log in screen there are a lot of error messages like

DataChannel - Dependet plugin EPOCore failed with initialization error

EPOAGENTMETA - Dependet plugin EPOCore failed with initialization error

and so on....

We´re able to log in but ePO comes up with bassically everything missing, no configuration, no correct dashboard settings etc., so it is totally unuseable.

If we reconfigure the database to the remote server everything works fine again, but as I just mentioned the given steps to move a ePO database are not too tricky I can´t imagine where the error is.

Anyone some ideas or running into the same problems...?

Help very appreciated.

Martin

• 5. Re: Migration Problem ePO 4.6.7 to ePO 5.1 with local SQL express using UpgradeCompatibility tool
                  meforum

hm ... are you sure you're moving the correct database? (as far as I know - the original epo 4.6.x database is migrated/converted by the update tool/process. So maybe you've moved the original DB v4.6 not v5 DB?)

may check out this document: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB65739  - though its for v4.x - but as far as I remember maybe there where additional steps if you move to a locally installed db ...?

• 6. Re: Migration Problem ePO 4.6.7 to ePO 5.1 with local SQL express using UpgradeCompatibility tool
                    meforum

oh - sth I forgot: did you check that the DB user (sql or windows) you are using has the correct permission settings?