6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2014 7:27 AM by moep

How to find out where a tag is in use?

moep

Hi folks

I'd like to get rid of some old tags I dont use anymore.

Unfortunately there is one last tag which I cannot delete since the option is greyed out.

According to an older article (https://community.mcafee.com/message/235023#235023) the tag is probably in use somewhere.

Unfortunately I could not find it within the last hour.

Is there any possibility fo find out where it is in use?

• 1. Re: How to find out where a tag is in use?
          meforum

hi,

(maybe depending on ePO version you're using) - you should see it under main menu > tag catalog > "name of tag" > (on the right side) "systems with tag" > click to see the systems.

otherwise you could run a report/query for all systems with that tag

Nachricht geändert durch meforum on 23.01.14 04:36:53 CST
          • 2. Re: How to find out where a tag is in use?
            moep

Thanks for your fast reply. I already did that.

There are currently no systems with this tag.. so its possibly somwhere in a querry or somewhere else. I guess I'm just blind

I recently upgraded ePo to 5.1... I'm not sure if this is some kind of bug or if it was corrupted during the upgrade.

I just realized that I can't select this tag in the list... so its just left in the tag catalog

• 3. Re: How to find out where a tag is in use?
              meforum

or could it be an issue with permissions? Are you logged in as "root" admin?

If you still have issues - maybe best open a case

• 4. Re: How to find out where a tag is in use?
                andrep1

Have you explored the tag being used by a client task assignment or a policy assignment? The signification of the error you received relates to those and not the systems per say.

• 5. Re: How to find out where a tag is in use?
                  moep

Meanwhile I checked everything twice.

When I did it the first time I found the tag in several points:

Queries & Reports, Product Deployment, Automatic responses, Policy Assignment Rules and several Server Task

It doesn't matter if I use the root admin - I even restarted the server without success.

I cant imagine where else this tag could be in use

• 6. Re: How to find out where a tag is in use?
                    moep

Hi folks

I've opened a case last week and finally got a solution from the support:

I can suggest you alternate steps to delete this corrupted TAG from db table directly. Please follow the steps below.

>Login to SQL management studio->ePO_<servername>->Tables->dbo.EPOTag

>Select the corrupted TAG->Right click->Delete

However, I'm pretty sure this is not a proper way to delete TAGs.

Therefore I recommend to check first if this TAG is still in use including the following menues

Queries & Reports, Product Deployment, Automatic responses, Policy Assignment Rules, Server Task