7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 2:29 AM by Jonesthemilk

Safeboot\EEPC 5.2.11 (EEM)  to EEPC V7.x ePO Managed?

Jonesthemilk

I have a client that is currently running EEPC 5.2.11 (EEM) and would like to move to ePO managed EEPC\MDE. v7.x

Not wanting to go thro the hassle of de-crypting & encrypting I am wondering whether this can be done without having to do version upgrades

to get to the final version.   i.e. go straight from 5.2.11 to V7.x using the Migration tool.

Vesrions are not critical except v6.x goes EOL in March

I know I can find out thro testing but need to know if it is at least feasible. before I commit

The McAfee docs are a bit contradictory on this dependant on ePO version and EEPC level.,  so thought I'd ask the Forum.

As the VMware he is running is ESX 5.x,   I would plan to use ePO 5.x purely for support reasons.

Any pointers would be helpful as I have not used safeboot in it previous guise.......:-/

Diolch yn fawr

jtm

• 2. Re: Safeboot\EEPC 5.2.11 (EEM)  to EEPC V7.x ePO Managed?
          Jonesthemilk

Hi Safeboot,  Sure have!.

Been doing Mcafee for quite a few years now and have learned that that is the first place to start..

Must admit though, been using Becrypt as it’s the only CESG\CAPS approved one out there!

Safeboot (EEM) being a bit 'old Hat' is a bit of a new one to me...........................

Alas at this point, the Clients are not too anxious to go to 5.1 just yet given the slip-up in November but I expect by the time I get to implement it will be well proven.

=============================================================

Reason for my question is this :-

Found this in the 7.0P2 release notes (I do appreciate it refers to ePO4.6………….)

Important If you try to upgrade to EEPC 7.0 from a version lower than EEPC 6.1.2, the EEPC

installation will fail. If you wish to upgrade to EEPC 7.0 from a version lower than

6.1.2, make sure to upgrade to 6.1.2, 6.1.3, or 6.2.0 first. For more information

about best practices and recommendations on migration and upgrade, see McAfee

Endpoint Encryption 7.0 Best Practices Guide.

In the “eepc_700_migration_guide_en-us.pdf” there is the statement :-

EEPC 5.x.x refers to EEPC 5.2.6 and later versions.

The above guide you mention, makes no mention of these.

So really need to check the facts and see if there any gotchas like  “EEPC 5.x.x refers to EEPC 5.2.12 and later versions” coming down the road.  ;-/

I don’t really want to raise a call but was hoping for some clarification by the forum McAfee staff  like yourself, before I advise the Client on the required Process.

All I need is a firm statement that I can go from 5.2.11 (EEM) to EEPC v7.x\MDE V7.1 by deploying ePO V5.x, deploying Agents 4.8, migrating the 5.x database into ePO and Bob’s ur Uncle!  :-/

Thanks for any help you can give.

Message was edited by: Jonesthemilk on 21/01/14 08:53:11 GMT
          • 3. Re: Safeboot\EEPC 5.2.11 (EEM)  to EEPC V7.x ePO Managed?

Read the document I posted the link for - page 7 answeres your question. You can ignore EVERYTHING regarding EEPC7.0 as you said you were going to use 7.1. 

Message was edited by: SafeBoot on 1/21/14 8:47:41 AM EST
            • 4. Re: Safeboot\EEPC 5.2.11 (EEM)  to EEPC V7.x ePO Managed?
              Jonesthemilk

Totally bemused at that response.!

• did not mention 7.1 but plainly stated 7.x
              • did stipulate strong possibility of NOT using ePO 5.1
              • the afrementioned Document  MDE v7.1 is for  ePO 4.67 or ePO 5.1,

MDE.jpg

• EEPC v7.x  will run on ePO v5.0 which is clients preference.

Maybe its just as well I have Platinum support.

Thanks for the attempted effort but have now raised a call with McAfee direct .

Hey Ho,  on we go!

JTM

• 5. Re: Safeboot\EEPC 5.2.11 (EEM)  to EEPC V7.x ePO Managed?

Sorry - I was following your comment

All I need is a firm statement that I can go from 5.2.11 (EEM) to EEPC v7.x\MDE V7.1 by deploying ePO V5.x, deploying Agents 4.8, migrating the 5.x database into ePO and Bob’s ur Uncle!  :-/

I'm not sure why you would go for 7.0 when 7.1 is released though. If you don't go with EPO 5.1 you'll be missing out on much of the new functionality of MDE (user catelog etc), and you'll end up in an upgrade cycle again...

• 6. Re: Safeboot\EEPC 5.2.11 (EEM)  to EEPC V7.x ePO Managed?
                  Jonesthemilk

will concede bullet point 1 but at that point 7.1. was only added for completeness.

I might be McAfee ePO certified but given their track record I would only entertain using a re-issued version upgrade after considerable peer testing....  6 months at the very least

Just like my rule of thumb about Microsoft .    " never upgrade OS until the first service pack is out!"

Looks like ePOv5.0 and EEPCv7.0 then! which takes me back to the contradictions mentioned.

• 7. Re: Safeboot\EEPC 5.2.11 (EEM)  to EEPC V7.x ePO Managed?
                    Jonesthemilk

McAfee Support have since confirmed that direct upgrade from 5.2.11(EEM(  to EEPC V7.01(ePO Managed)  is acceptable and should be without issue.l

Diolch yh fawr

jtm