Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
452 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2014 12:50 PM by pm_nate RSS
gww Newcomer 1 posts since
Jan 18, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 18, 2014 11:29 AM

Click Protect Changes Links

When using Click Protect the service will change the hyperlink in the email.  While clicking on the link will either bring you to the original site or the Click Protect page, it is modifying the email.  My web developers are not able to copy and paste links provided by clients withough having to go through extra steps to acquire the actual URL.  It is causing productivity issues.  Secondly, the service, by modifying the email is tampering with original source documents that clients send to us. Not good if you ever have to defend yourself when email is involved.  As an expert witness I could have a field day with this fact.  I do not care what the process is.  The email is not what the client sent. 

How can this be changed so our links are left alone? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Brad McGarr McAfee Employee 154 posts since
    Dec 4, 2012
    1. Jan 20, 2014 10:22 AM (in response to gww)
    Re: Click Protect Changes Links

In order to provide protection, ClickProtect must re-write URLs to redirect to the secure filter. This is the function of that module of the service. You may disable ClickProtect and URLs will no longer be affected nor protected.

Brad McGarr
    McAfee SaaS Email & Web Protection
    Technical Support Technician I (Legacy & Partner Support)
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft Technology Associate - Windows OS | CompTIA A+ Certified Technician | CIW Web Foundations Associate
    Visit my blog: Brad's Corner - Insights from SaaS Email & Web Security Support https://community.mcafee.com/blogs/brad-denver

Frequently Requested Information
  • pm_nate McAfee Employee 17 posts since
    Dec 6, 2012
    2. Jan 20, 2014 12:50 PM (in response to gww)
    Re: Click Protect Changes Links

gww, thanks for your post. I think Brad summed up the situation, but to rehash a few critical points:

1. ClickProtect is off by default. As a casual observer, I would have interpreted your original post as implying that it was turned on by default or without your knowledge, which is never the case. Each customer should weigh the pros and cons of any security technology against their specific needs. We fully expect that ClickProtect will be too invasive for some users and exactly "what the dcotor ordered" for others. The same goes for many security technologies. Encryption, for example, has clear beneifts, yet not everyone uses it.

2. ClickProtect allows for various levels of protection that can be selected on a per policy basis. Some levels are less intrusive than others.

3. This functionality has been around for years and years. It hasn't always been this advanced, but URL re-writing has been around for a long time and...

4. I'm not aware of a single instance where a URL re-write for the purposes of threat detection has resulted in a spoliation claim. The fact is that many threats now arrive in the form of a URL rather than a file attachment. Stripping file attachments has been a widely accepted practice for years and amounts to basically the same things as a URL re-write. Given the risks and losses that business see every year due to phishing attacks, I would expect this to be considered a "reasonable" measure for business to take to protect their networks from data leakage and all other manner of bad things.

Nate

Sr. Product Manager

Notice: The information contained herein is for informational purposes only and should not be deemed an offer by McAfee or create an obligation on McAfee. McAfee reserves the right to discontinue products at any time, add or subtract features or functionality, or modify its products, at its sole discretion, without notice and without incurring further obligations.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points