3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2014 11:34 AM by ivanovitch RSS

"IDSS_SS_NAME IDSS_SS_VERSION" Firefox Plugin, What's that ?

This is my first post in this board.

For some days I've been getting trouble with my network and remote virtual printer driver under Firefox.

I attempted to troubleshoot hese issues and I ended with an unknown plugin, not here for long, probably 3 or 4 days no more because I'm inspecting my system quite twice a week but a mistake is still possible.

I updated Viruscan Enterprise 8.8 to sig #7314 last Saturday.

The plugin is "IDSS_SS_NAME IDSS_SS_VERSION", it says to be originating from McAfee, without any more pieces of information. No ID, no version.

I disabled it and my problems went away.

What this plugin is for ?

Where does it come from ? Last update or malware?

If originating from McAfee, it must have asked for permission before installation, right ?

Thanks in advance and best regards

• 1. Re: "IDSS_SS_NAME IDSS_SS_VERSION" Firefox Plugin, What's that ?

Moved this from Community to Business > VSE for better support

• 2. Re: "IDSS_SS_NAME IDSS_SS_VERSION" Firefox Plugin, What's that ?

It's part of the VSE scriptscan engine that protects browsers (IE up to 9, Firefox) from malicious javascripts.  I agree that the plugin should identify itself correctly.  You can set a few options for ScriptScan under the VirusScan Console, On-Access Scan Properties, General Settings, ScriptScan tab.

• 3. Re: "IDSS_SS_NAME IDSS_SS_VERSION" Firefox Plugin, What's that ?

Thank you for your feedback.

1) According to your recommendation, I uncessfully ended with this tab because although Scriptscan was enabled, I'm lacking skills to find out what to put in the exclusion boxes. I left it as-is and looked at the other Access Protection module instead. Here's what I did:

I activated the option within the Viruscam console under  "Access Protection",  "Common Standard Protection", "access protection" tab,  "Protect Mozilla&  Firefox  files & settings".

For some reason, "Block" was disabled. I didn't reactivate the "IDSS_SS_NAME IDSS_SS_VERSION" firefox addon, object of my previous mail, just because on another instance of Firefox, under another user name, the add_on was not existing.

2) Some days ago, I noted that it was impossible to delete some folders I just created. I spent lot of time troubleshooting the issue, trying Grant Admin mode enhenced rights. No way to delete these folders nor move or even copy their contents.

This morning, I noticed that all these peculiar folders had Mozilla at the first place in their name, i.e.:

MozillaCacheView (x86), MozillaCacheView - (x86), MozillaCookiesView Cookies Manager Firefox (x86), MozillaHistoryView - for Firefox (x86),

I disabled the block option et voila!

What's strange is that Mozilla isn't detached of the other words composing the directory names and that sub-folders named "new folder", "new folder (2)", ... were protected by heritage. I also have to add that these folders are concerning Nirsoft utilities, not dealing in any way with Firefox program. The drawback is that I have no more eccess protection to firefox files.

I'd appreciate that somebody may explain thiese behaviours and also provide a deeper explanation of the role of

"IDSS_SS_NAME IDSS_SS_VERSION", not implemented in new instances or installations of Firefox.

Thanks again in advance and best regards

140222_ Question Refresh. Thks

Message was edited by: ivanovitch on 2/22/14 11:33:24 AM CST

Message was edited by: ivanovitch 140222 on 2/22/14 11:34:17 AM CST