4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 4:40 PM by catdaddy

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool Query

wixey

My Windows Update service recently installed four updates. One of them, a malicious software removal tool (KB890830) asked for Internet access. Presumably it;' okay to allow it as it's from Microsoft, but this has never happened before. Why should it need to access the Internet?

• 1. Re: Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool Query
          Peter M

That is installed every "Update Tuesday" once a month and probably needs to check with the online database for verification purposes.      I haven't noticed that myself but as my connection is always on and Windows Update has full firewall permission, maybe that's why I didn't see it this time around.

Strangely enough, on my Vista OS that was the only update today.....I don't think I've ever had an "Update Tuesday" with only 1 update coming in.    Win 7 and 8.1 both got around 9 updates each including Officve ones.

• 2. Re: Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool Query
            wixey

I was surprised there were only four updates this time as I usually get between 8 and 12. I heard quite a few patches were being released for XP users so maybe that's why I didn't get so many this time?

• 3. Re: Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool Query
              Peter M

Maybe, who knows?  With XP reaching end of life on April 8, meaning no more updates after that date, I guess they're cramming in as many as they can for that OS.

• 4. Re: Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool Query
                catdaddy

Hi Wixey,

I observed the same thing, and allowed it as "Always" which in turn if you go check your

"Internet Connections For Programs" in your Firewall, you will see it added with "Full" permission

with "NetGuard" (on).

I also only recieved (4) updates today as well. Which could be due to the fact I only have "Powerpoint" installed, opposed to the full "Office Suite" I,m running Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

This could explain the small number of updates......

2FPatch_Tuesday_preview_Get_your_Windows_XP_patches_while_they_last_https://community.mcafee.com/message/316392#316392

Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 1/14/14 3:36:55 PM CST

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 1/14/14 4:36:03 PM CST

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 1/14/14 4:40:57 PM CST