1 2 3 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2014 4:43 AM by exbrit

Update starts but stays at 0%

jmckee

In the past week , when the daily update starts , it has stayed at 0% and not changed (even after 1 hour). This happened once last week and again today. The update was started from a prompt that there was an update ready. MVT showed nothing wrong both times and also started the update. Last week that worked , but not today.  Any thoughts? Uninstalling/reinstalling is not a viable option as I am on dialup.

• 1. Re: Update starts but stays at 0%
          exbrit

Regardless of your choice of browser, McAfee uses Internet Explorer for functionality. so make sure that IE is the latest version for your system, whatever that is, and that it, its add-ons and everything else are totally up to date.

IE8 for XP SP3

IE9 For Vista SP2

IE11 for Windows 7 SP1

IE11 for Windows 8/8.1  soon to become IE12.

You do NOT have to set IE as the default browser if you don't wish to, but you could try that to see if the update proceeds better.

Also make sure that your system clock is up to date and that there aren't any spurious networks confusing the software.  For that look in Windows Network Center or Device Manager.  Disable any you don't need.

Is everything else accessing the web OK?

Of course this could be a server issue at McAfee's end so hopefully it will clear.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/01/14 5:56:10 EST AM
          • 2. Re: Update starts but stays at 0%
            selvan

Hi jmckee,

Adding to Peter's suggestion try the below step to isolate if the issue is with McAfee servers or the internet connection itself.

Open "cmd.exe" in Run window.

Type "ping download.mcafee.com" without quotes and note down the response time in ms. A good connection will have response time less than 100ms. This will also confirm if McAfee update servers are up and running.

Post back the Version details of McAfee that can be accessed by clicking on About link on McAfee User Interface..!

• 3. Re: Update starts but stays at 0%
              Peacekeeper

Hi mate long time no hear that is good I hope. Funny about this issue my wife got the same last night on her quad core cpu with IE up to date.. I would also try disabling access protection (navigation general settings and alerts) and try a manual update. Restore AP after you try the update. You also can try the update with AP off in safe mode.

I will post back if my wife still has an issue when she gets onto her PC later on today.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 15/01/14 6:41:55 AM
              • 4. Re: Update starts but stays at 0%
                jmckee

OS is XP , IE8 is installed. All updates from Microsoft are installed. No other networks are in place - just CompuServe. Everything else connects to the internet OK.

Ex_Brit wrote:

Regardless of your choice of browser, McAfee uses Internet Explorer for functionality. so make sure that IE is the latest version for your system, whatever that is, and that it, its add-ons and everything else are totally up to date.

Is everything else accessing the web OK?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/01/14 5:56:10 EST AM
                • 5. Re: Update starts but stays at 0%
                  exbrit

Thanks.  I'll leave you to Tony and Selvan, they have a good handle on this.

• 6. Re: Update starts but stays at 0%
                    jmckee

Next time it happens I will try the ping and report the results.

Security Center  12.8    Build 12.8.856

Anti-Virus and Anti Spyware   16.8    Build   16.8.708    Engine 1767

Firewall    13.8    Build  13.8.712

Message was edited by: jmckee on 1/14/14 9:13:06 PM EST
                    • 7. Re: Update starts but stays at 0%
                      jmckee

Glad to hear at least someone else has had the problem. Will try disabling Access Protection if it fails tonight.

Thanks again for the memory! System is working great.

• 8. Re: Update starts but stays at 0%
                        jmckee

When I tried to do an update tonight with no changes made to any settings , it worked and updated the SC to 12.8.903 , but did not update the VS engine. The last engine update was 1/12/14. The big issue is that now real-time scanning will not start. Tried rebooting - no good. Tried updating again , but it simply sat there at 0%.  Tried pinging the server and got response times of 687ms minimum and 1121ms maximum.

MVT showed everything was fine except that the engine was out of date. Disabling Access Protection made no difference.

One odd thing noted: After installing the Windows updates for Tuesday and doing the required reboot , when the system came up , the VS update started as if it were on auto-pilot.  Automatic updates were turned off. MVT still showed all was OK. Strange!

Message was edited by: jmckee on 1/14/14 11:34:30 PM EST
                        • 9. Re: Update starts but stays at 0%
                          selvan

Hi jmckee,

By any chance did you create a System restore recently. This might corrupt the content of McAfee files and could be a cause of Real Time Starting Up.

If nothing helps Real Time Scanning starting up issue , Un-install  and Re-install McAfee from Online Account which should fix it.

Regards

on 1/15/14 11:06:36 AM CST
                          1 2 3 Previous Next