Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
357 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2014 4:20 PM by Regis RSS
kevin_27 Apprentice 66 posts since
Oct 19, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 13, 2014 1:43 AM

Spam not being filtered by McAfee VSE 8.8

Hi Team,

We are using Mcafee ePO 4.6 with VSE 8.8. We are getting spam in Internal sites. Whenever we scan the server with McAfee VSE 8.8, the scan gets completed sucecssfully but it does not deduct the spam and we see the spam messages continuosly. Could you please advise.

• pato Apprentice 107 posts since
    Apr 1, 2010
    1. Jan 13, 2014 2:07 AM (in response to kevin_27)
    Re: Spam not being filtered by McAfee VSE 8.8

VSE 8.8 is an Antivirus solution and not an anti spam solution. Do you talk about email spam or any other kind of "spam" like Advertising on websites?

• Tristan Veteran 790 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    3. Jan 13, 2014 5:03 AM (in response to kevin_27)

As far as I know there isn't an anit-virus solution on the market that removes advertising from websites.

You have two options

1. A browser plug-in like adBlock Plus or noscript

2. A hardware based content filter/proxy server like the McAfee Web Gateway or the Barracude Web filter

• pato Apprentice 107 posts since
    Apr 1, 2010
    4. Jan 13, 2014 9:26 AM (in response to Tristan)

Or a DNS based Blackhole (called RPZ). You find more information here http://securityskeptic.typepad.com/the-security-skeptic/2011/10/dnsrpz-available -in-bind-981.html Works directly on your inhouse DNS Servers, if you have own ones.

Message was edited by: pato corrected RBL to RPZ and the link on 1/13/14 9:26:30 AM CST
  • Regis Champion 457 posts since
    Oct 6, 2010
    5. Jan 23, 2014 4:20 PM (in response to kevin_27)

kevin_27 wrote:

Hi Team,

We are using Mcafee ePO 4.6 with VSE 8.8. We are getting spam in Internal sites. Whenever we scan the server with McAfee VSE 8.8, the scan gets completed sucecssfully but it does not deduct the spam and we see the spam messages continuosly. Could you please advise.

Hi Kevin, as others have said, VSE is not anti-spam solution.    Anti-spam is typically handled in business environments by an email gateway of some sort, or via a cloud email provider that provides a clean feed and quarantining capabilities for spam.

McAfee's plays in anti-spam are their McAfee Email Gateway product (which unfortunately I can't recommend at this time much as I've gotten to know the honestly delightful folks in tier 3 support there--Cisco Ironport is worth a review based on choruses of others), as well as their cloud email solution which leverages Cloudmark's very impressive anti-spam engine.      For really small shops, honestly, Google Apps is worth consideration as they doa  really good job with spam filtering.

Commtouch sells a reaonable on premises anti-spam solution, runs on Windows server I believe, and works in conjunction with Exchange nicely in our experience.

The only client side spam filters I'm aware of as addons are freeware spambayes  (on sourceforge I believe) and Cloudmark has a free for personal use client, and possible a commercial one as well.   One person I know who tested both said they made a very noticeable and effective dent in his spam deluge.  

Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points