9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2014 8:58 AM by selvan

LiveSafe failed to detect suspicious files - when will DeepSafe be available to consumers?

kelsoguy

I run LiveSafe on several home PC's, running on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and MacIntosh.  I also run Trusteer Rapport, a security program which detects malware activity without localizing the source of the threat.  On my Windows PC's, I had installed LiveSafe after reformatting the hard drives using factory recovery disks.  I also am internet-cautious and do not click on suspicious links or visit questionalble websites.  Yet Rapport was detecting high levels of screen-grabbing and keystroke-logging on all my PC's.  I run a full LiveSafe security scan every night on every PC, so I downloaded an antivirus module named "GetSusp.exe" from McAfee, which detected suspicious files on all of my PC's (except the Mac, which I have disconnected from LiveSafe due to performance issues).   These suspicious files have been uploaded to McAfee labs for analysis, which has not been reported back to me yet.  I consider the failure of LiveSafe to detect these possible threats to be a serious failure, and I have decided not to renew my subscription to LiveSafe unless it undergoes a major upgrade.

McAfee/Intel has developed DeepSafe, a powerful hybrid software and hardware-based anti-malware system which employs a special port built into the Intel core i3 series CPU's.  In fact, I purchased a Dell PC with an Intel core i3 CPU specifically intending to install a DeepSafe anti-virus.  However, I learned (after buying LiveSafe) that DeepSafe technology is offered only on enterprise McAfee security systems.   I call on Intel and McAfee to incoporate DeepSafe technology into LiveSafe.  You will then have the most powerful antivirus on the consumer market (for PC's with the Core i-series CPU) and you may even avert a class-action lawsuit on behalf of consumers like me who believe we were fooled into purchasing LiveSafe because of its name and marketing materials which imply that it incorporates DeepSafe already.

• 1. Re: LiveSafe failed to detect suspicious files - when will DeepSafe be available to consumers?
          Peter M

No antivirus can claim to catch 100% of everything out there,  GetSusp is not an antivirus, it is a tool to hunt for and report anything oiut of the ordinary that it regards as suspicious.   Sometimes it finds things that turn out to be harmless.  If you entered your email address in the interface the labs will eventually contact you.  They are very busy so it often takes a while.

McAfee/Intel DeepSafe is a technology based on specific Intel hardware and certain operating systems only and is present in Enterprise products at the moment but development is ongoing.

There are some suggestions for extra protection and procedures in the last link in my signature below.  I see no connection between the two names other than the word Safe, which appears in just about every product description somewhere.

These forums have no influence on corporate decisions such as product naming.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/01/14 11:56:37 EST AM
          • 2. Re: LiveSafe failed to detect suspicious files - when will DeepSafe be available to consumers?
            kelsoguy

Thank you for that jolly-good answer, Ex-Brit.    You wrote that "GetSusp" is not an antivirus, " it is a tool to hunt for and report anything oiut of the ordinary that it regards as suspicious", which for me is part of the bloody definition of an antivirus.  If you are on the payroll of Intel or McAfee, then it is in your interest to forward informed consumer suggestions and product requests to the software developers or executives who can bring those solutions to market.  If you are not being paid after posting over 58,333 replies and serving as a moderator, then God bless you, and God save the queen.

PS:  LiveSafe and DeepSafe are not the only "coincidental" similarities.  "LiveSafe provides a DEEPER level of protection..." or something quite similar appeared in LiveSafe's marketing materials.  Read the reply to my posting on Amazon by Jamie Moreno, an industry expert who had his own serious criticisms of LiveSafe, including raising the possibility that by NOT seizing and using the powerful VTx hardware virtualization port on the Intel Core i-series CPU's, LiveSafe is abdicating those powerful tools to be opportunistically exploited by malware.  Just another suggestion for McAfee to consider....

Message was edited by: kelsoguy on 1/9/14 12:00:45 PM CST
            • 3. Re: LiveSafe failed to detect suspicious files - when will DeepSafe be available to consumers?
              Peter M

We've discussed this before and I think a manager may answer you here.  I am not a McAfee employee, none of the Moderators are.   I post my opinion and what I know from the knowledege base and like all Moderators can only advise people and steer them in hopefully the right direction.

If you have a product suggestion post it in the appropriate section here:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/ideas

No guarantee it will be adopted but at least it's a start.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: LiveSafe failed to detect suspicious files - when will DeepSafe be available to consumers?
                kelsoguy

Thanks for the link to your excellent page on anti-malware solutions at :

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

where you wrote: 

Also avoid using registry cleaners and optimizers, most of their benefits are imaginary and many of their disadvantages are real, like the deletion of important registry keys belonging to other applications, McAfee included.

Does the above apply to the "Winferno Registry Power Cleaner" software sold by McAfee?  It seems to work quite well for me and has solved a number of very frustrating & persistent problems, and it has not caused any problems as far as I can tell.

• 5. Re: LiveSafe failed to detect suspicious files - when will DeepSafe be available to consumers?
                  Peter M

Yes, as far as I'm concerned it would apply to that and any other such cleaner.  Winferno products are seen on the McAfee sales pages because there is a sales agreement between the two.    Perswonally I wish there wasn't buit that's merely my opinion and there's nothing I can do about it.

They are seperate and have their own support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/01/14 1:43:10 EST PM
                  • 6. Re: LiveSafe failed to detect suspicious files - when will DeepSafe be available to consumers?
                    selvan

Hi kelsoguy,

The name LiveSafe was given owing to the safety provided to all Devices such as PC / MAC / Smartphones /Tablets. Getsusp tool will detect the suspicious and unknown files present in the PC. However we cannot confirm all the detections to be malwares.

Regarding the Deepsafe technology for core i series we will include this as one of upcoming Project ideas.(can't assure ETA) Thanks for the input.

Regards

• 7. Re: LiveSafe failed to detect suspicious files - when will DeepSafe be available to consumers?
                      kelsoguy

I wish to be notified as soon as a DeepSafe consumer product is available, to purchase a licence & installation DVD for my Intel Core i3 PC running Windows 8.1

Is it true that, in principle, a rootkit which controls the PC can neutralize any anti-malware which the user attempts to download or install while the system is operating?

I thought that the only reliable way to detect a rootkit is to boot from a DVD directly into a safe operating environment not using any executable modules on the hard drive?

If that is true, what bootable malware-detection solutions can you suggest, and how can I purchase the bootable disks?

Windows Defender Offline is only available in a form which must be downloaded from a "known safe uninfected Windows PC" , but there is no such thing

I have Chromebooks which are known to be malware-free after a factory reset ("power-wash") but they cannot execute the Windows apps for creating bootable disks

• 8. Re: LiveSafe failed to detect suspicious files - when will DeepSafe be available to consumers?
                        Peter M

Subscribe to McAfee newsletters from their main website.  Unfortunately you will find that most of them are directed towards Enterprise.  There is no notification service available ion these forums other than subscribing to threads.  We don't hear about new features any earlier than you do, they just arrive and that's it.   Sometimes we do hear things and will post accordingly, so keep your eyes on these forums and general anti-malware forums too.    Look into RSS newsfeeds in your browser(s).   Let Google be your tool to find all of this.

Yes certain rootkits and other infections can disable not only anti-malware software but your entire system.   Discussion of the finer points of rootkits and other infections and how to avoid them, including making bootable anti-malware disks belongs elsewhere.  Try the dedicated anti-malware forums.  Some are listed under the Hijackthis section in the last link in my signature below.  Just go to their home page to find the appropriate spot to start a conversation about it.

Meanwhile to avoid such things means you, the user, taking care to always have everything updated and to be wary of where you download from and what you download, and avoid file-sharing if at all possible.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/01/14 9:53:00 EST AM
                        • 9. Re: LiveSafe failed to detect suspicious files - when will DeepSafe be available to consumers?
                          selvan

Hi kelsoguy,

Not all the rootkits are of the kind you mentioned. Booting to Safe mode with Networking might help download the Removal utility you wish in Windows.Aggresive rootkits might start themselves in Safe Mode as well.

Please note if the Operating System is Healthy / New it is possible to remove all malwares  without disc. You might check out our Virus Removal Service in the unlikely case you got infected with a rootkits.

Regards