My computer is infected by a virus (I don't know any more than that about it) which caused deleted unwanted files to be copied and the hotmail 'vacation' reply to be activated and a rogue reply sent to my contacts. I have been through the whole process of technical support, etc., etc., and tried to contact the virus removal team. They have so far issued numerous reference numbers etc., and taken five payments from me (I think I have managed to get four payments refunded) but the virus removal team have not even responded let alone offered assistance. I was also directed by McAfee to a telephone line based in Ireland, they informed me after a twenty ninute call explaining the problem, that they did not deal wth this particular problem, it was not a McAfee telephone num ber I was given, it ws some outside organisation.I am surprised that an organisation such as McAfee can sanction such a money grabbing scam. Does anyone know of any other way I can remove the virus (whatever it is) without have to pay any more money to McAfee and risk not getting any assistance again. Is anyone else experiencing these problems with McAfee?
Download Malwarebytes ' Anti-Malware from Here or Here Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform Full Scan, then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart (see Extra Note below).
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy & paste the entire report into your next reply.
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
If the above does not resolve the issues, follow instructions below.
Register at this Forum then follow these Steps, post the required log in that forum,not here.
Had a sinilar thing happen to me.. I got the microsoft number, they had a recorded message saying where to go on there site to run there live scan then I went and got a tech online, took control of my computer, worked wonders.. everything was fixed.. I didn't have to pay for it. If you want you can email me and I can send you the phone number and sites I had to go to.. I have an xp and I still didn't have to pay...
Thread is a year old. Thanks for posting however.
Regarding paid virus removal, that choice exists with all brands of anti-virus. However, there is always a free alternative if one does some research...Google it for instance.
Meanwhile surf wisely, don't click on anything you aren't sure about and be careful downloading and file-sharing stuff and always keep Windows totally up to date. No protection software in the world is going to stop everything out there.