Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
554 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2014 3:10 AM by anvin0001 RSS
anvin0001 Newcomer 36 posts since
Jun 5, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 2, 2014 2:41 PM

McAfee VSE 8.8 ScriptScan Enable or Disable?

When I first installed VSE 8.8, I disabled ScripScan because I am afraid webpages will be loading really slow in IE 8 and I rarely use Firefox or other browsers.

So right now, I decided to enable ScriptScan to see how things work out.

If pages are loading really slow due to the ScriptScan being enabled, will it be safe to disable it?

It is now enabled without any URL Exclusions.

In addtion to this, my Windows 7 images do have ScriptScanning disabled and I decided to only enable it on demand.

Now if I do decide to enable it on demand and If I notice any performance impact or any other issues due to this, then I will just disable it again.

And, I cannot recall if the ScriptScan is EMABLED or DISABLED by default in VSE 8.8 (Patch 3)??

Thanks

Message was edited by: anvin0001 on 1/2/14 2:41:13 PM CST
  • petersimmons McAfee Employee 230 posts since
    Dec 22, 2009
    1. Jan 3, 2014 9:13 AM (in response to anvin0001)
    Re: McAfee VSE 8.8 ScriptScan Enable or Disable?

It is enabled by default on Workstations and disabled on Servers. I'd highly recommend leaving it that way unless you encounter a serious problem. Generally speaking it will not cause problems on 99.99% of web pages. You simply won't notice it being there. If there is a problem it is because you have a application that uses hundreds (or thousands) of pieces of Javascript/VBscript to make up a single web page. That's not really a great design for a website but some applications do this. Generally you won't find public web pages that do this because it is inefficient.

I recommend leaving it turned on all the time.

• petersimmons McAfee Employee 230 posts since
    Dec 22, 2009
    3. Jan 3, 2014 9:12 PM (in response to anvin0001)
    Re: McAfee VSE 8.8 ScriptScan Enable or Disable?

The McAfee Default policies are read-only.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points