Despite using McAfee Suecurity Center, and having it fully updated at all times, I got a bad infection on the morning of Dec 23. Despite 3 complete virus scans, VirusScan has failed completely to remove it. I did get about a half dozen popups on the following day, but the problem remains and is getting worse.
In the meantime I made efforts to remove the malware myself. My 3rd party program "Startup" shows 3 alien applications called simply "980f3d48", "CPM9b3c0ed4" and "gajikagabu". I cannot disable any of these, If I try, it comes right back.Each of these use a DLL. If you delete the .DLL, it immediately comes back under a different name. Even removing these from the Registry is fruitless; they come right back. It is diabolically clever!
To help someone identify the malware, here are some of the .DLL names that I have seen:
I fogot to mention, the popups said "Trojan Removed" but the problem remains an is getting worse. Also, the last .DLL name sholld be munemume.dll. The main symptom is constant unwanted full sized popups of additional instances of IE showing unwanted websites, etc. TThanks.
Thank you very much! I downloaded the first link and installed and ran the Malwarebytes application , did a full scan and it seems to have removed wverything. The only problem I am now still having is that every forum (except this one!) logs me off every time I leave and I have to login every time I return- a real pain! I deleted all of my temporary IE files, but that didn't help. Apparently the malware did something to my IE7 settings. Any ideas?
By the way, what does the second link do, update the Malwarebytes app?
I don't have another browser. I played around with some of the settings, which I had previously tightened up when I was fighting with the infection, but had no success with this. Maybe I will updrade to IE8 sometime soon, and that might fix this.
By the way, I can post the logfile, but it is quite lengthy (there were 72 infections found), otherwise it was similar to that posted by graenoss, though it was twice as long at least. The culprit was vundo.h.
Hello HarrisonS I can offer no more for you than to do exactly as I was advised to do. Malwarebytes cleared my problem completely in the very first Scan, with no other input from me. I can only add that you should be sure to do the Program Updates before you scan, and do Full Scan as I did. ( Mine took almost 2 hours) but the results were more than worth it. Good Luck Graeme