Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
3115 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2008 9:44 AM by HarrisonS RSS 1 2 Previous Next
HarrisonS Newcomer 13 posts since
Dec 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 27, 2008 10:53 AM

Help - My Computer is infected!

Despite using McAfee Suecurity Center, and having it fully updated at all times, I got a bad infection on the morning of Dec 23. Despite 3 complete virus scans, VirusScan has failed completely to remove it. I did get about a half dozen popups on the following day, but the problem remains and is getting worse.

In the meantime I made efforts to remove the malware myself. My 3rd party program "Startup" shows 3 alien applications called simply "980f3d48", "CPM9b3c0ed4" and "gajikagabu". I cannot disable any of these, If I try, it comes right back.Each of these use a DLL. If you delete the .DLL, it immediately comes back under a different name. Even removing these from the Registry is fruitless; they come right back. It is diabolically clever!

To help someone identify the malware, here are some of the .DLL names that I have seen:

yupohote.dll
dunuwopo.dll
kavutiro.dll
batomune.dll
vumeburo.dll
mumemune.dll

Can anyone identify this threat and tell me how to delete it. Also, why can’t McAfee VirusScan do it?
  • earthdragunz Newcomer 263 posts since
    Jan 12, 2008
    2. Dec 27, 2008 11:16 AM (in response to HarrisonS)
    RE: Help - My Computer is infected!
    hi HarrisonS,

please try this:

Malwarebytes - http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater - http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/dat...mbam-rules.exe

download, install and do a full scan. remove all detected trojans and viruses.

hope it helps. keep us updated

Regards,
    Dhon E.
    Forum Volunteer

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."
    Jan 12, 2008
    4. Dec 27, 2008 1:54 PM (in response to HarrisonS)

the 2nd link is to update MBAM's virus detection files. I'm not really quite sure what happened to your IE..:confused:..can you try using another browser like, mozill firefox?

keep us updated

Regards,
    Dhon E.
    Forum Volunteer

Jan 12, 2008
    6. Dec 27, 2008 3:29 PM (in response to HarrisonS)
    Upgrading to IE8 might produce some issues with your McAfee since, it isn't supported yet. Best bet is to have Microsoft "reset" your IE settings.

Regards,
    Dhon E.
    Forum Volunteer

Jan 12, 2008
    8. Dec 27, 2008 4:58 PM (in response to HarrisonS)
    try asking for help in their forums...

you can also download Mozilla Firefox from http://mozilla.com. it's free and easy to use.

Regards,
    Dhon E.
    Forum Volunteer

• Newcomer 3 posts since
    Dec 25, 2008
    9. Dec 28, 2008 2:13 AM (in response to HarrisonS)

Hello HarrisonS
    I can offer no more for you than to do exactly as I was advised to do.
    Malwarebytes cleared my problem completely in the very first Scan, with no other input from me. I can only add that you should be sure to do the Program Updates before you scan, and do Full Scan as I did. ( Mine took almost 2 hours) but the results were more than worth it. Good Luck Graeme
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)