7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 5:00 AM by exbrit

Need help uninstalling McAfee

gary_094

Hi everyone, i need some help uninstalling McAfee because it's giving me this blue screen. I found out by making a discussion on microsoft.com, the support their was helpful to tell me i had to uninstall.  This blue screen happen to me twice already and caused me to reset my laptop twice to factory settings, since McAfee came preinstalled on my laptop, its still their, so i know i have to uninstall it from the program list, then run this removal tool, but i just wanted to make sure do i have to do anything before i do this uninstall, which i tried in safe mode before reseting my laptop, but the support at microsoft said i have to be able to boot to normal windows cause the removal tool was not working. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Need help uninstalling McAfee
          exbrit

The only thing that might make a normal uninstall and then use of the MCPR tool difficult would be if this was anything but the normal consumer security software....for instalnce if it has Intel or McAfee Anti-Theft installed, then removal will be more complicated.

If Anti-Theft isn't installed then you can go ahead and do as you mentioned.

• 2. Re: Need help uninstalling McAfee
            gary_094

thanks for the quick reply and no its not a anti-theft, it's a mcafee internet security that has firewall, virus scan, and anti-spyware and parental controls

• 3. Re: Need help uninstalling McAfee
              exbrit

So nothing to worry about then.  Regular uninstall via Control Panel and then MCPR Cleanup and reboot.  Or if you have to simply run MCPR if a normal uninstall causes problems.

• 4. Re: Need help uninstalling McAfee
                gary_094

hey there everything worked out find, tho there is still a McAfee security advisor app at the windows 8 start screen under lenovo apps, but im assuming its just a kinda place holder thing so i just unpined it from start screen

• 5. Re: Need help uninstalling McAfee
                  exbrit

That's great.  Just check in your Control Panel > Programs and Features to make sure there are no more McAfee entries and that should be it.  There is a thing called McAfee  Security Scan Plus which if offered as an option with certain products, often Adobe Flash etc. which is really just a  sales tool, so if it's that, it can certainly also be removed.   I don't think MCPR cleanup tool would remove it as it isn't a regular program.

• 6. Re: Need help uninstalling McAfee
                    gary_094

checked the programs and features and no McAfee, and yea it was like a sales tool thing which i just uninstalled took no time at all, i hope this will be the last time i have to deal with these blue screens, thanks for all the help, and these past few days i was lucky enough to be helped out by other volunteers on forums and now i know their are people out there who care and in general are good people. Thanks again!

• 7. Re: Need help uninstalling McAfee
                      exbrit

The blue screens shouldn't have been happening howvever and ar e usually associated with a driver failure or hardware.  Check that drivers are all up to dte.   Anyway good luck ;-)