1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 6:27 AM by Peter M

My McAfee 'Total Protection' is not updating now. Why?

chuggg

I have used the home edition of McAfee 'Total Protection' for a few years now, and all the automatic updates have worked fine ... until now.

The last couple of weeks I am getting conflicting messages from McAfee saying all updates are good, but at the same time other messages saying my computer is at risk (because of no updates).  What is going on? Is anyone else experiencing this?  Does anyone have a solution?  I'm not even sure if I have a problem or not.  But the mixed messages from McAfee are annoying the &*%# out of me.

I use Windows XP home edition.

I use Firefox Internet Browser 26.0

Cheers.

Greg from Australia.

• 1. Re: My McAfee 'Total Protection' is not updating now. Why?
          Peter M

That's XP SP3 I trust?  Also as McAfee's interface is essentially an Internet Explorer page, regardless of the fact you use Firefox, make sure IE is also up to date - IE8 is the highest you can go for XP.

Also check that your system clock is accurate.

What happens when you click Check for Updates in that window you have displayed above?

Are the settings in the box below that set to Automatic?

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it helps the stuation:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

• 2. Re: My McAfee 'Total Protection' is not updating now. Why?
            chuggg

Thank you for your quick reply.

As you suggested I have added IE8.  The system clock on my PC is accurate. Settings are set to Auto. I have done the Virtual Technician thing.  Still no good. The same error message pops up almost immediately after everytime I log on, and everytime thereafter I manually check for any updates (as McAfee recommends per first error message).  As per the screen dumps above 'Total Protection' suggests there are updates available, and one of the dumps show that my system hasn't updated for more than 7 days (which I think is the case) whilst the other dump suggests the last update was done only minutes ago.

By the way, I tried to get a McAfee chat session happening, but my PC won't let me activate the chat software. (refer attached error message)

Cheers.

Greg.McAfee Bug 1.bmp

• 3. Re: My McAfee 'Total Protection' is not updating now. Why?
              Peacekeeper

I will ping a tech to popin but first try below suggestions.

Go to navigation general settings and alerts and access protection and unselect it and apply the decision. Go to iupdates and retry updating. Whatever happens post back AND retick access protection as you need it selected .

Next thig to try is to reinstall Mcafee after a clean uninstall.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot as asked and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.e xe

and reinstall from your account

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 1/01/14 6:32:24 PM
              • 4. Re: My McAfee 'Total Protection' is not updating now. Why?
                chuggg

Thanks for that Peacekeeper.

I tried the unticking of the 'access protection' option you suggested, and the updates still haven't worked.

Over the next couple of days, I will try the uninstall/reinstall option.  I will let you know how thats goes.

Cheers.

• 5. Re: My McAfee 'Total Protection' is not updating now. Why?
                  Peter M

Something isn't quite right here though with that support ActiveX not being able to install.   In Internet Explorer make sure it is the latest, updated version and set to default settings.   (You don't have to have it as your default browser).   To reset to default go to Tools/Internet Options/Advance and click the Reset button.  Click Apply and OK any prompts.

Close and reopen IE then go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable any you need.

Also make sure that all important updates for Windows are installed.

Do you have any other software installed that is designed to monitor or block downloads?

• 6. Re: My McAfee 'Total Protection' is not updating now. Why?
                    selvan

Hi chugg,

Could you please confirm that you have logged into the computer as an Administrator...I see that the installer is not authenticated to copy a required dll file to the said location for proper execution of the Gotoassist Application.

This might be the cause for Updates not being installed and you may see Updates available even after a number of manual updates were done..!

• 7. Re: My McAfee 'Total Protection' is not updating now. Why?
                      Peacekeeper

Out of interest what engine and version of Mcafee are you currently showing. You also do not need to chat with Mcafee as you can call support from Australia easy .Just follow thae support prompts .

• 8. Re: My McAfee 'Total Protection' is not updating now. Why?
                        chuggg

Tried all of the above.

As recommended, I uninstalled and reinstalled Total Protection (as the last resort).   When I reinstalled Total Protection, the 'Anti-Viurs & 'Anti-Spyware component failed to install (even in Safe Mode).  I called McAfee.  We could not establish a chat connection (as per above screen dump), so they could not help me anymore.  ...  McAfee then advised me its a Windows issue.   Because I have Windows XP Home Edition, McAfee can no longer guarantee that their software is compatable with my Operating System.

So now I have NO anti-virus protection or anti-spyware protection. 

It might be time to try another Anti-Virus product.

• 9. Re: My McAfee 'Total Protection' is not updating now. Why?
                          Hayton

chuggg wrote:

McAfee then advised me its a Windows issue.   Because I have Windows XP Home Edition, McAfee can no longer guarantee that their software is compatable with my Operating System.

They might not guarantee it but on my XP SP3 machine - with IE8 - McAfee runs okay, with none of the problems you're seeing.

First, go to Microsoft Update and check for any updates available for XP or IE8. Use the Custom button not the Priority button or you'll miss all sorts of "optional" updates including important updates for the certificate store. McAfee (and others) have recently got much more diligent about checking for invalid or outdated digital certificates.

Next, you say you use Firefox, but McAfee uses Internet Explorer settings, including for the user interface, so getting the IE settings right is sometimes important. If you've changed any of them you can reset them to the defaults and that should work correctly with McAfee.

The different reports about updates implies that they're downloading but not installing correctly. MVT should have fixed any missing files or incorrect registry settings. Have you used a registry cleaner lately? If so that might have taken out something crucial.

One last thing : in XP I always make sure any software updates are done while I'm in the Admin account. That ensures that all the necessary privileges for installation are available. Are you trying to do updates from a limited-privilege user account?

1 2 Previous Next