7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2013 11:01 AM by exbrit

Windows 8.1: Complete Uninstall Uncompleted

edchipp

Hi,

Just purchased a Lenovo Y510 notebook that came with a McAfee trial copy already installed.  The notebook has an SSHD drive, a Seagate ST1000LM014.  The drive shows up on Windows Explorer with both a C: and D: designation.  The D: is the "hybrid solid state" part where system bootup data and certain applications are stored for faster execution.

I wish to fully uninstall McAfee.  I first used the classic uninstall from Control Panel, then I ran the latest mcpr.exe (linked off this site).  The mcpr ran successfully without any error messages.  It took about 5 minutes to run.  But after this, I am left with some McAfee files that didn't get deleted:

On the C: drive:

McAfee.swf  (in a home.mcafee.com subfolder under macromedia\flashplayer)

mcafeeemerald.log  (in folder windows\mfgstat.zip\preload)

McAfee HIPS driver.cat  (in a subfolder under windows\system32\catroot)

On the D: drive, all of  the below:

Application\McAfee\1028\ (with 11 .dll files)

Application\McAfee\1029\ (with 11 .dll files)

Application\McAfee\1030\ (with 11 .dll files)

(25 more, ending with:)

Application\McAfee\4105\ (with11 .dll files)

Application\McAfee\apps\MMI\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\apps\MPF\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\apps\MPS\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\apps\MQS\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\apps\MSC\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\apps\MSK\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\apps\oemmain\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\apps\VSO\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\factory\apps\MMI\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\factory\apps\MPF\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\factory\apps\MPS\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\factory\apps\MQS\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\factory\apps\MSC\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\factory\apps\MSK\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\factory\apps\oemmain\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\factory\apps\VSO\ (with a lot of files which look like install files)

Application\McAfee\SelfProtect\win32\ (with several files)

Application\McAfee\SelfProtect\win64\ (with several files)

mpfUCcab  with several files

So...

1. Why didn't Control Panel's uninstall + mcpr.exe delete these from the C: and  D: drives?

2. Will I do any harm to my system if I just go in now and manually delete any or all of them?

Thanks for your help!

Ed

• 1. Re: Windows 8.1: Complete Uninstall Uncompleted
          exbrit

That "McAfee HIPS driver"  & "McAfee\factory\apps\VSO\" bits make me wonder what the name of the software was that you had installed.    If this was Enterprise software, MCPR is ineffective  as it is only designed for the consumer produycts, except for Anti-Theft, which has a otally different avenue of support.

If you can recall the name and version of what was installed it would help greatly.

• 2. Re: Windows 8.1: Complete Uninstall Uncompleted
            edchipp

Thanks for your reply, Peter.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name and version.  I did find some things, if it helps any:

1. The 30-day trial is "McAfee Internet Security", don't know if that's telling you much.

2. A discussion, with limited information, at: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Y510p-SLI-Incorrect-Fac tory-Setup-of-HDD-and-24GB-SSD-Windows-8/td-p/1196897

Wish I could give you more information.  My main concern is being able to clean the files off the D: drive.  At this point, do you think it's safe to do so?

Thanks,

Ed

• 3. Re: Windows 8.1: Complete Uninstall Uncompleted
              exbrit

It sounds like you had the consumer software installed but perhaps there was soemthing else installed at some stage which gave those extra folders.    The MCPR tool only looks on the system drive for folders so you'll have to do it the hard way.

Well you could go the normal way - looking for McAfee folders in Windows Explorer and delete them from there.  Or do the registry method:

The  regedit  procedure can be done offline if you wish.

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit  and click OK.

A  page  should open with the top left hand corner looking something like this:

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-5889-9-62438/276-201/regedit.JPG

if for some   reason it's expanded, collapse it and then highlight My Computer   (Computer in Vista/Windows 7/8).

Go to File tab and click "Export" and send all of the   registry to your desktop. This is in case something goes wrong. It can   then be rebuilt by simply right-clicking that desktop item and selecting Merge.

Now click   the Edit tab and then "Find". Enter "McAfee" (minus the "") then click   "Find next" (or hit the enter key).

Whatever is found, right-click and  delete.

Hit  your F3 key for the next instance and keep going until all entries are gone.   It can take a long time if a lot of McAfee components were oroginally installed and the MCPR removal tool (Useful Links at top of this page) didn't work for some reason.

If one says it can't be deleted this is where it gets complicated. You have to then find which key on the left column pertains to it and   right-click/Properties/Permissions and give yourself permission.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/05/14 8:35:00 EDT PM
              • 4. Re: Windows 8.1: Complete Uninstall Uncompleted
                edchipp

Thanks.  I ended up deleting all the references to mcafee in the registry, then all the references to mcafee on my computer via explorer search.

• 5. Re: Windows 8.1: Complete Uninstall Uncompleted
                  exbrit

OK, good luck ;-)

• 6. Re: Windows 8.1: Complete Uninstall Uncompleted
                    selvan

Hi Peter

Adding to your Trouble Shooting Steps there is small utility called "regscanner" which does the same job (finding and deleting the registry entries). However it needs to be run in Admin previleges and has certain limitations.

It is smarter to take a backup of the registry before editing the values (be it a single key/value) in "regedit"

• 7. Re: Windows 8.1: Complete Uninstall Uncompleted
                      exbrit

Thanks for the advice.