8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2013 7:06 AM by catdaddy

Why does McAfee continually notify me that updates are available?

hgldr

It's not a big deal but, it's rather annoying. I click on "Remind me in 2 days" then, it comes up 3 or 4 times a day, not 2 days. I just installed updates this morning and the message has come up 2 times already today. This has been going on for years ever since I bought McAfee.

• 1. Re: Why does McAfee continually notify me that updates are available?
          catdaddy

Assuming you are speaking of your "McAfee Security Center" ?

Being uncertain as to which suite of protection you have? It is my understanding you can "Open" the McAfee Interface"  (My Protection being "Total Protection-3 User" )  open  "Updates" and select " View Settings", and simply allow them to Automaticlly (Download and Install).

Therefore you should not recieve any further Prompts.  Personally, I have never seen a setting.."Remind me in 2 days" ?  For you should want your Anti-Virus-Ant-Spyware to be kept "Current-Up to date" on a daily basis....

Maybe one of the Mods can expand on this...For I have never heard of such a setting?

Or...this could indicate that it is not functioning properly?  Are you talking about the "McAfee Security Scan Plus"?  For it is basically only a Marketing Tool. If I may ask, what Suite are you using?

For example:  MSC-12.8.856

AV/AS-16.8.708

When I open my "Update Settings"  I have the following...

Decide how you want to get Automatic Updates

Download and install updates automatically  (My Setting)

Download updates but notify me before installing

Notify me when updates are available

Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 12/25/13 4:41:45 PM CST

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 12/25/13 5:12:04 PM CST
          • 2. Re: Why does McAfee continually notify me that updates are available?
            selvan

Hi hgldr,

As Catdaddy posted you can change the Update settings to Automatically Download and Install. The updates will then download and install Automatically once completed you will get a notification that Software is Updated.

After changing to this setting you will not be prompted to install updates often.

• 3. Re: Why does McAfee continually notify me that updates are available?
              hgldr

I don't want 'auto updates' because McAffee slows my computer down too much when it's downloading. I want to down load when I'm not using the computer. Does anyone know the answer to the question, "why does it keep notifying me in 4 hrs when I specifically tell it 2 days, not 4 hrs?

• 4. Re: Why does McAfee continually notify me that updates are available?
                catdaddy

If you would kindly open your McAfee Security Center, Navigation/ General Settings and Alerts/ General Settings Tab/ and make certain you have a (Checkmark)  placed beside  "Wait until my PC is idle to run scheduled tasks like scans, automatic updates,and QuickClean.

Then click "Apply", this should resolve your problem

Idle basically meaning you are consuming (10%) or less of your CPU Usage, or not using your computer.

I am not a "Volunteer Moderator", or a McAfee Employee as that goes. Only a McAfee consumer, like you.

As they say here in the "South"...I hope my suggestions were "Clear as Mud"

Sincerely,

CatDaddy

• 5. Re: Why does McAfee continually notify me that updates are available?
                  Peacekeeper

4hrs is the default checking time never seen an option to defer for 2 days(probably as I have auto update) Deferring for 2days is not a good idea. Catdaddy's suggestion should hold off the update for a while till teh PC is idle though it will force an update after a set time so you are protected.

BTW what setting have you selected for update the download then ask or notify when available?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 26/12/13 6:41:55 PM
                  • 6. Re: Why does McAfee continually notify me that updates are available?
                    hgldr

Hi catdaddy, Thank you for the suggestions but the "Wait until my PC is idle..." was already checked.  I'll try the auto update, maybe it'll stop the continual messages.

• 7. Re: Why does McAfee continually notify me that updates are available?
                      selvan

Hi hgldr,

Choosing Auto-Update is the best option perhaps.

Regards

• 8. Re: Why does McAfee continually notify me that updates are available?
                        catdaddy

Good Morning hgldr,

Hopefully from this point on...the only "Prompt you may see is"

(Your Software Has Been Updated)....

Regards,

CatDaddy