3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2013 5:14 PM by santhosh561

File Scan using CLI - SCAN32

santhosh561

Hi All,

Please let me know how to scan a single file using SCAN32.exe with Command Line options?

I'm planning to invoke this from Java program to scan an excel file during upload to a portal , please help.

I don't find suitable option from product manual/setup guide for single file scan.

• 1. Re: File Scan using CLI - SCAN32
          midnightdevil

Have you tried opening a dos prompt into McAfee directory (usually C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise) and scan32 c:\filetoscan.exe  ?

Works for me. It scans the boot sector and then the file I requested:

eg: C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise>scan32.exe c:\config.sys

Seemed to work fine.

• 2. Re: File Scan using CLI - SCAN32
            rmetzger

Hi Santhosh,

Welcome to the forums.

Starting on page 91 of the VSE v8.8 Product Guide, Command Line Interface arguments for Scan32.exe are documented.

(see https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 22000/PD22941/en_US/vse_880_product_guide_en-us.pdf )

Also consider the independent scanner:

VirusScan(R) Command Line for Windows, Version 6.0.4, downloadable with a valid grant number. It has a greater number of parameters, runs independently from McShield.exe, and does not use GTI which means it can run entirely off-line. VirusScan(R) Command Line for Windows can run from a boot disk on systems that do not have VSE already installed.

VirusScan(R) Command Line for Windows (Scan.exe) uses the same .Dat files as VSE. However, downloading and updating the .dat files manually will lead to performance issues. One can use the somewhat undocumented command line argument "Scan" /DECOMPRESS in the manually expanded .dat file location. This will reconstruct the .dat files into a 'runtime.dat' file which improves performance greatly, for independent file scans.

Hopefully this is helpful. Good luck,

Ron Metzger

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: File Scan using CLI - SCAN32
              santhosh561

Thanks for reply.

Given option is working fine by opening up QUICKSCAN scan window and scanning the file. Is there any option to run the scan in background and sent results to calling Java Program.