Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
509 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2013 2:20 PM by Peacekeeper RSS
rusbac Newcomer 3 posts since
Dec 10, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 10, 2013 7:32 PM

Tried to uninstall - Now I get a black screen

Hello everyone,

I've read several cases similar to mine but they all seem to be able to get into windows in safe mode and do something to fix it.  I cannot get into windows in any mode (or I maybe I don't know how).  Here's what happened...

I just bought a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium.  I went online and did all the windows updates it asked me to do.  Everything has been running smoothly for about 2 weeks now.  I don't want to use/register McAfee and I do not have any other anti-virus software installed.  However I got tired of seeing the McAfee pop up every day reminding me to register for my free trial.  So I went to the Start menu --> Control Pannel --> Uninstall.  I choose McAfee from the list of programs and clicked uninstall.  It asked me if I wanted to uninstall the virus scanner and/or the web browser scanner.  I checked the box only for the virus scanner.  I hit ok, it seemed to be un-installing.  At the end it said click OK to reboot your computer, so I did.

The computer reboots and all I see is a black screen.  I let it sit for ~10 minutes and decided it wasn't working so I held down the power button until the computer shut down.   Press the power button to start up again and it shows me the "Your computer didn't shut down properly, do you want to start in safe mode?" screen.  For all three options (Safe mode, with networking or with command prompt), It will start to boot, I will see the Windows 7 welcome screen, then it will go black and all I see is my mouse cursor and a Safe mode header/footer.

Here is a video of the windows startup sequence from power button to black screen:  https://vimeo.com/81561599

What do I do now?  Thanks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points