5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2013 8:37 PM by catdaddy

"Your Computer is at Risk" every time I boot up....

smokeyham

Hello,

This just started in the last couple of weeks, but every time I boot up I get a message which says my computer is at risk.  I then go to the Security Center/Virus and Spyware protection tile and McAfee does a quick check after which it says everything is fine.

Anyone else experiencing this, and does anyone know a solution?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: "Your Computer is at Risk" every time I boot up....
          smokeyham

Some additional information which might be helpful.

I am running Windows 7, with IE 10.  Security Center is version 12.8 and Antivirus version is 16.8.

I have run a manual update to ensure that everything is up to date. 

• 2. Re: "Your Computer is at Risk" every time I boot up....
            Peacekeeper

The at risk message where is this coming from Mcafee or Windows action centre?

• 3. Re: "Your Computer is at Risk" every time I boot up....
              smokeyham

Thanks for the response.

The message is a McAfee (not Windows) message. 

The message does not immediately appear when I first boot up.  It may take up to 10 minutes.  During that time period my computer can be very slow, and freeze up.  Once I have acknlowdged the message, and gone through the next step of briefly having to go through the Security Center, then the computer works fine.  Below are my computer's specs.... It should be flying along.

Computer Specs.bmp

• 4. Re: "Your Computer is at Risk" every time I boot up....
                Peacekeeper

OK best that you call support I have not seen this happen here usually posters say the message satys no matter what they do so best to let support have a look.

http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

Before you call them on the same page above download and run the Mcafee virtual technician and see if it finds anything amiss. Also note the session number from the run and tell that to the tech when you call. It is possible that the last major update that your PMcafee did got messed up and the install might need reinstalling. Tech support will figure it out.

Yes PC fast enough I assume you have done a scan of your PC in case malware is causingthis? Some suggested scanners here

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

Especially run getsusp and add your email addy to its preferences so Mcafee can contact you if something is detected.

• 5. Re: "Your Computer is at Risk" every time I boot up....
                  catdaddy

I concur with PeaceKeeper, your issues seem uncharacterisic to the norm others have posted. It would indeed be a Good Idea to run those Malware Tools. Particularly "Malwarebytes (Free) it has a unique method of detection, and coincides with other Security Software (To include McAfee) As long as you utilize the "Free" version, for the "Realtime Scan Module" is not included, yet still detects and cleans,removes malware that may have been missed.

I noticed you said you were running Windows 7, Internet Explorer 10-Fully Updated.

Make certain that you have Windows 7-Service Pack 1 ( I think you needed it to install IE10) Anyway. And as much as I myself loved IE10...it is reccomended that you Upgrade to Internet Explorer 11, even if you don,t use it as your default Browser.

This enables McAfee to function properly, and is considered to be much safer. Hopefully the Support Tech will

make certain of both mentioned.

GodSpeed,

CatDaddy