Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
856 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2013 6:06 AM by mmjlz RSS
kvines Newcomer 2 posts since
Nov 23, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 23, 2013 4:04 PM

Reformat external drive and leave it unencrypted

I have an external eSATA drive that I had connected to my laptop prior to having McAfee Endpoint Encryption installed. Not long after EE was installed, I noticed a lot of disk activity on my external drive so I tried to figure out what was causing it. I eventually discovered that EE was encrypting it as the well documented EE behaviour indicates that due to the OS recognizing the drive as internal, EE should encrypt it. This totally defeats the purpose of using an external drive as a back up but anyway...

The drive was not completed encrypting (it was at %72) but I decided that I would format it on a home PC without McAfee EE and then just connect the drive via USB instead of eSATA. The problem is that if I format the drive on my W8 home PC, when I plug it into my work laptop it shows up as unformatted. If I format it on my work laptop, when I plug it into my home PC it again shows up as unformatted.

At this point there's no data on the disk. I just want to be able to swap the disk between both my work laptop and my home PC and not have it encrypted at all. If tried a few different partitioning tools without success. I've tried partitioning as NTFS, exFAT, and FAT32 with no success.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points