Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
300 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2013 9:23 AM by vimalnavis RSS
dantu Newcomer 3 posts since
Nov 8, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 21, 2013 2:17 AM

Allowing execution of a .exe on mass storage device

Hi there

I am testing DLP managed from ePO for Company-wide rollout, but am unable to get our corporate memory sticks working. They have an exe file that unlocks the encrypted portion, but DLP is blocking execution of this file and the stick is blocked at this point.

Our corporate encrypted USB sticks are in the whitelisted plug and play device definitions. I have also added the .exe name in the Application Definitions with Trusted Strategy and it's also a Whitelisted Application.

Thanks

Dan

• cnorris McAfee SME 39 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    1. Nov 22, 2013 4:32 AM (in response to dantu)
    Re: Allowing execution of a .exe on mass storage device

It depends on the make/model of the stick. From previous experience some encrypted USB sticks appear as a CDROM then you use the software on the virtual CD to load the encryted partition which appears as a disk drive.

So my first thought is that the CDROM part is blocked or made Read-Only?

Chris Norris

Global Support Engineering Operations

• vimalnavis McAfee SME 207 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010
    3. Nov 30, 2013 9:23 AM (in response to dantu)
    Re: Allowing execution of a .exe on mass storage device

If you are using Removable Storage Device Definition, the Whitelisted Plug and Play device definition wouldn't make any difference.

To me it seems like the way you have defined the rules, the virtual CD/DVD portion of the drive is being made read-only. You would want to modify the rule to exclude those drives.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points