1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2013 2:22 PM by Peacekeeper

How Were McAfee Able To Update Debit Card Details Without Asking Me?

oyaba

Hello.  Please can you tell me how McAfee got my updated debit card details.  Since getting a new debit card, I have been getting emails from various companies, with whom I have accounts, to update my details since they are unable to take subscriptions as my debit card details have changed.  However, I got no such request from McAfee and this month they we able to do the auto renewal as usual.  When I checked my account details held with McAfee, they do indeed have my new debit card details.  How did they get this information? Are they spying on me somehow gathering financiall information?  Isn't this the sort of thing they are supposed to help protect against?  I was annoyed when McAfee first started auto renewal without my consent but I went along with it, hwever, this is over stepping the mark. I have now disabled auto renewal but I would like an explanation. Thank you

• 1. Re: How Were McAfee Able To Update Debit Card Details Without Asking Me?
          Peacekeeper

Auto renewal is in the terms and conditions you Ok'd. Ok deep into them but it is there. I feel it should be an option my I am only a helper here.

Re CC details it could be that your bank updated them when Mcafee contacted them with approval from you for the auto renewal. Only Mcafee customer service or your bank can answer this so best contacting both and asking them.

http://service.mcafee.com/CustomerService.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1

Good luck I am interested in knowing if you can pass the answer onto me as I have seen this happen before.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How Were McAfee Able To Update Debit Card Details Without Asking Me?
            oyaba

Thank you for that.  I contacted Customer Support, and this is the response I had:

McAfee's only intention is to provide uninterrupted protection to not just your computer but also to all of your important information or files because without this feature, your computer will be left unprotected as soon as your license expires.

Also, I would like to inform you that McAfee works with credit card companies and other financial institutions to ensure that customers' credit card information remain up to date so that their security will also be up to date and customers will continue to be protected.

If a customer is enrolled in McAfee's automatic renewal program, their credit card may be charged even if it has expired.  McAfee is enrolled in account updater services from Visa and MasterCard which provides McAfee with updated credit card information.  This is not information that McAfee seeks out, this is information that is provided as a service by Visa and MasterCard.

The customer's credit card information will only be updated if a customer maintains an account with the same financial institution that issued the previous card on file. You may always get in touch with your financial institution to verify this information.

You may check this link: Visa Account Updater Service

http://usa.visa.com/merchants/new_acceptance/abp_updater.html

• 3. Re: How Were McAfee Able To Update Debit Card Details Without Asking Me?
              catdaddy

Ironically, I had a friend from Dallas,Texas whom contacted me yesterday in regards to the same occurance. She was wondering why a debit of (1.06 ) was "Pending" on her Mastercard account...from McAfee ?  Although it was a miniscule dollar amount, she was wondering how and why?  Especially being her "Renewal Date" was June-2014.

I suggested she contact McAfee, and her bank. She basically stated the same as oyaba , it is a working relationship between the "Credit Card" Companies and Merchants. I might add this occured even while her "Auto Renewal" option was turned off.

McAffe did inform her that the "Pending charge of ( 1.06 ) would be removed after (24) hours. Following verification that she did indeed have a valid Card. I might add also, it could have been triggered by her Card just yesterday was "Renewed", which could have triggered the same transaction.

She is fully aware of the "Eula" Agreement between McAfee and herself. She is a satisfied customer and does indeed intend on "Renewing " in June. Yet she still ponders the thought...if she will now be debited from her account when her Renewal Date occurs? Even with her Auto Renewal Settings ( off ) ?

I simply told her to wait and see.....

• 4. Re: How Were McAfee Able To Update Debit Card Details Without Asking Me?
                exbrit

I moved this to "My Account Online" as, I think, a more appropriate spot for best support.

You can turn off auto-renewal on your account page and Customer Service is always glad to refund any charges that are disputed within a reasonable time, 60 days I think.

They are linked under Useful Links at the top of this page and it's free by phone or online chat.

• 5. Re: How Were McAfee Able To Update Debit Card Details Without Asking Me?
                  Peacekeeper

and if the auto renewal is disabled you will not be charged.

Thanks oyaba for that info you provided seems those other companies you mentioned are not enrolled in the updater service.

• 6. Re: How Were McAfee Able To Update Debit Card Details Without Asking Me?
                    thedominie

I've had exactly the same experience today. New debit card details on the system that I didn't provide McAfee with. Auto renewal stupidly left on but that's not the issue. The Issue is how did they get my new details as the card number is totally different etc. Some claims that Visa/mastercard give Mcafee the new details or is it Mcafee using their own software against their customers, scanning their PC for new payment details. This is not good enough Mcafee and why I've cancelled my subscription and will be advising others of this "fraud".

• 7. Re: How Were McAfee Able To Update Debit Card Details Without Asking Me?
                      exbrit

It's your prerogative to shop elsewhere of course, but as stated previously, you agreed to auto-renewal therefore communication occurs between the vendor, in this case McAfee, and your bank.  It was no doubt the bank who updated the card information to expedite the process.   No fraud is involved.

• 8. Re: How Were McAfee Able To Update Debit Card Details Without Asking Me?
                        thedominie

I acknowledge that auto renewal was on but NOT for the card details you have debited the money from. I did not give Mcafee persmission to seek out these details from my bank. Don't worry, my bank will be receiving the same complaint. The fact that others are complaining about this highly questionable practice should be acknowledged by macafee and not just ignore or sutomers given the stock reply about auto-renewal. Poor customer service all round and some very "dodgy and possibly fraudulent practices" going on.

• 9. Re: How Were McAfee Able To Update Debit Card Details Without Asking Me?
                          exbrit

If you read the EULA I'm afraid you'll see that you did give them permission.     However, it's not my rules as I'm only an unpaid volunteer here.  You should speak to Customer Service about this, they can clarify it for you and arrange any refund if you want one.

It's a free phone call and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

These forums have no connection with customers' accounts.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/12/13 10:59:06 EST AM
                          1 2 Previous Next