1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 20, 2013 10:17 AM by rmetzger

unable to uninstall mcafee validation service in windows 2003 X64

Mohana

Hi,

We are using mcafee epo 4.5 P2, MA 4.6 and VSE 8.8 P2, I wanted to remove mcafee from my exchange servers running on Windows 2003 x64. I am able to uninstall through Add/Remove but it is not completely uninstalling. Mcafee validation service is still there and tried manual uninstall also, but unable to remove.

Please help, let me know if remove tool avialable for this.

Thanks,

Mohan

• 1. Re: unable to uninstall mcafee validation service in windows 2003 X64
          rmetzger

Mohana wrote:

We are using mcafee epo 4.5 P2, MA 4.6 and VSE 8.8 P2, I wanted to remove mcafee from my exchange servers running on Windows 2003 x64. I am able to uninstall through Add/Remove but it is not completely uninstalling. Mcafee validation service is still there and tried manual uninstall also, but unable to remove.

Please help, let me know if remove tool avialable for this.

Hi Mohan,

McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service (mfevtps.exe)  is installed with the McAfee Agent and is designed to prevent modification to McAfee programs and services as a self-protection mechanism. It is designed to make it difficult (but not impossible) for even kernel-mode rootkits from changing or altering McAfee services in a malicious way. For this reason, no McAfee Tool exists for it's removal (which would render self-protection moot).

You should be able to uninstall the McAfee Agent from Add/Remove Programs, after all other McAfee programs have been uninstalled.

Have you uninstalled the McAfee Agent?

If so, then it probably did not complete successfully.

if not, try to unistall the McAfee Agent.

If none of these options are easily available, you can try to re-install VSE 8.8 again, temporarily. Avoid using any password protection for this process. Once installed, change some of the default settings:

VirusScan Console > Access Protection > Properties:

1) UNCheck - Prevent McAfee services from being stopped

2) Common Standard Protection:

UnBlock (UnCheck) Prevent Termination of McAfee processes

Then Uninstall all McAfee software, Agent last.

Follow any reboot requests.

Let us know how you are doing.

Ron Metzger

Message was edited by: rmetzger on 11/20/13 11:17:44 AM EST