4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 7:33 AM by mtuma

Event Info Question

jacky

I am fresh man to the McAfee Firewall. I saw some logs from the firewall. I dont understand that.

"IP Filter Session Close" --- What does it mean?

"Proxy Traffic End" --- What does it mean?

• 1. Re: Event Info Question

Hello,

IP Filter Session Close simply means that a session that was allowed through the firewall using a Packet Filter (IP Filter) was closed either by timing out, or some device sending a fin or reset.

Proxy Traffic End is the same thing but involves traffic through the proxy.

-Matt

• 2. Re: Event Info Question
            jacky

Accordingly, my system shows Proxy Traffic End. Does it mean that the session has been blocked.

• 3. Re: Event Info Question
              PhilM

I would expect a session being blocked by the firewall to result in an "ACL Deny" (if the traffic has hit a rule which explicitly denies access) or maybe something like a "Protocol Violation".

Based on what Matt is saying these "IP Session Close" or "Proxy Traffic End" records are the firewall reacting to a status change on the part of the original client or server - either one party is timing out or it is issuing a 'fin' or 'reset' packet.

-Phil.

• 4. Re: Event Info Question

Yes Phil is correct. Proxy Traffic end means the connection was allowed, then closed out for some reason (timing out or fin or reset).

-Matt