Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
333 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2013 8:08 AM by pboedges RSS
rothman Newcomer 27 posts since
Jul 23, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 15, 2013 2:53 PM

ePO Nested Queries

Title basically says it all: Does anyone know if it is possible to nest queries?

What I mean by this is, let's say I have query A which provides a compliance pie chart for VSE versions on Windows machines.  I also have query B which provies a compliance pie chart for Anti-Malware for Macintosh.  To get a high-level report to my management, I would like to combine both reports and provide an overall view of our compliance in Antivirus versions for all machines versus breaking it up between Windows and Mac.

Before it is mentioned, I do realize that it is important to see the difference between the two for the sake of remediation, but this is simply for presenting a complete overall metrics graph to management so that they can track progress / see the state of the environment as a whole.  I would also provide a breakup of our compliance based on specific criteria, but the overall, nested, query is my goal.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

• andrep1 The Place at McAfee Member 246 posts since
    Apr 26, 2011
    1. Nov 18, 2013 12:08 PM (in response to rothman)
    Re: ePO Nested Queries

I was going to say not possible but consider this:

-create a tag "compliant system"

-create a managed systems query for all managed system-1

-create a  managed systems query for windows systems that match your criteria-2

-create a  managed systems query for mac systems that match your criteria-3

-create a compliance query where the criteria is the tag presence-4

-create a server task to:

-run query 1 to clear tag off all system

-run query 2 to tag windows compliant system 

-run query 3 to tag mac compliant systems

-run query 4 and mail/exports results

Its a long detour but it would work, makes sense ?

Basically like running two queries and doing a union, then running your query off of that...

• rackroyd McAfee Mentor 953 posts since
    Feb 3, 2010
    3. Nov 19, 2013 3:43 AM (in response to rothman)

Just fyi, that may not work as you expect.

My understanding is that task sub-actions are all evaluated at the task initialisation, sub-actions are not evaluated sequentially.

Sounds odd I know, but you may need to run these one after the other as separate server tasks rather than one with multiple sub-actions.

What i'm trying to say is that making sub-actions dependent on a tag cleared by another sub-action may behave oddly because all sub-actions are effectively evaluated together.

Just a heads-up

• andrep1 The Place at McAfee Member 246 posts since
    Apr 26, 2011
    4. Nov 19, 2013 7:05 AM (in response to rackroyd)

didn't know that... we are far away from having proper workflows. Thanks for the heads-up

• pboedges Apprentice 71 posts since
    Jan 20, 2009
    5. Nov 19, 2013 8:08 AM (in response to andrep1)

You can also combine the various queries into a single report and have one document which displays all the necesary information sent to management.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points