First of all make sure that your operating system is totally up to date, XP SP3 fully updated including IE8, even if you don't use it, McAfee does but it doesn't need to be your default browser.
Also make absolutely sure that your system clock is accurate both time and timezone-wise.
Try uninstalling all McAfee via Control Panel > Programs
Then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.
Then install your software again from the online account.
(To save time with that last step you could go to your account,page and save the downloader to your desktop before starting all of this).
Service Pack 3 was already installed. Newest version of IE8 was already installed. System clock was about 2 minutes fast but I changed it. It is now about half a second fast. Time zone was -05:00 EST which is correct. I uninstalled McAfee through control panel required restart. Then I ran MCPR that also required a restart then downloaded McAfee through my account. It is fine now but will see when I restart the computer that seems to be when the problems start.
Sounds good, let's hope it stays good.
Started up the computer this morning and it is back the way it was. Do you know if Mcafee is working on a patch to fix this problem that at least 4 people so far seem to be having. Thanks
I have no idea. Best to open a case with immediate escalation - see Technical Support under Useful Links at the top of this page.