8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2013 5:04 AM by manoj.kulkarni

Mcafee crashing windows 8 laptop after installing, confusing bit: works on an identical computer.

wildcard65

Hello, recently I was diagnosing on of my pcs on day to find out why it was freezing and then started crashing alot(this pretty much started this whole thing up to now) and I installed mcafee on it, ran a scan and was getting quite concerned at scanned objects labelled as rootkits. Cancelled scan, went online for a free anti-rootkit software, found Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit(Beta), ran it and it found some malware, during it's scan, Mcafee found some files being suspicious and classed them as Artemises, that was before any malware was found. After it found 1 malware, another file came up as suspicious by Mcafee, after the anti-rootkit scan completed and removed the malware it found, I restarted the computer as instructed. After the reboot I went and ran Mcafee scan again but the computer crashed while the scan was going. After the computer reboot, I restarted the scan and few minutes later, Windows crashes again, it kept happening over and over again. So after a while I called Toshiba and asked for help(with a reference number because of the freezing happening) and I left out the part about malware when I was describing the crashes the to guy that was assisting me and he guessed it was because of viruses. So he instructed me to remove all my files on the computer with a process built into Windows 8 and I ran it, after it was completed I reinstalled McAfee(and it had me remove Norton-Internet Security with the 30 days free trial still in effect) and re-ran a scan and guess what... Windows crashes again so I call Toshiba back and they tell me to send the computer back so I did and got it back today and the computer's HDD was replaced and so I reinstall McAfee again(and it had me remove Norton-Internet Security with the 30 days free trial still in effect again) and during it's install I thought I saw something flash on the screen a few times but couldn't really catch it. After it was done I went to install Apache Open Office and during it's install... Windows Crashes again and the computer had a fresh HDD placed in and the OS re-installed and it kept crashing after that point after logging into the computer and going to the desktop to now crashing right after booting or logging in. Anyone explain if this is hardware related or a virus that snuck in during McAfee's install or McAfee itself.

Note: I can't get any crash dumps due unable to do anything before a crash but the recent crash error was MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Note2: McAfee AntiVirus+ was used before I upgraded it to All Acess Total Protection.

Edit: Forgot to mention that McAfee is working on an identical computer to the one mentioned above without it crashing, I installed McAfee differently on it though by manually removing Norton then installing McAfee.

Message was edited by: wildcard65 on 11/8/13 5:00:13 PM CST
        • 1. Re: Mcafee crashing windows 8 laptop after installing, confusing bit: works on an identical computer.
          catdaddy

More often than not, people assume that the more (Security-Layered Programs) you have installed , the better protected you are.Nothing could be further from the truth. Having (2) Anti-virus programs running at the same time ( Real-Time Scanning Modules)  will most definitely "Conflict" with each other.

Especially Norton-McAfee being the case. You said in your own words at the latter part of your post, that you have a "Identical Computer" functioning fine with "McAfee All Access" installed. And it is reccommended that you uninstall any

Anti- Virus programs that may come "Bundled" with your purchased Computer.

As you can see, by your removing Norton from your PC, ( Using the Norton Removal Tool ) in addition is beneficial in removing any Remnants that may have been left-over from normal uninstall using the (Contol/Add Remove ) of your Computer...That your "Identical Computer" is functioning well.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware was designed to run alongside your existing Security Software. It is unique in itself and indeed is a very resourceful Tool. Of Course the "Free" Version will suffice, due to the fact that the (Real-Time Scan Module) is not included. It simply detects and removes, On Demand any existing malware that may still exist.

Almost all of the Moderators Reccommend Malwarebytes, and other utilities as well. To include McAfee Rootkit Remover, Getsusp  and other utilities that wil not conflict with each other.  As for your crashes, Maybe you need to Run the "Norton Removal Tool" for the Computer giving you issues?

As I still utilize Windows 7 Service Pack 1, I am not all that familiar with Windows 8, 8.1.  But you could possibly benefit by running a "DSKCHK/R through the command prompt and it will repair any corrupted registry files. You could also run a "SFC/SCANNOW"  veryify the integrity of all your Windows updates.

After making certain that (All) of any existing Norton files are no longer existing, you may even benefit by uninstalling/reinstalling Your McAfee All Access. I am certain that individuals whom are much more knowledgable than I could further add to your issues.

I currently utilize 2013 McAfee Total Protection, and can sincerely say that I have experienced no problems at all.

I hope in some small way, this helped.

Regards,

Catdaddy

• 2. Re: Mcafee crashing windows 8 laptop after installing, confusing bit: works on an identical computer.
            Peter M

First of all if you see during scanning the words "scanning:rootkits' all that means is it is looking for rootkits.  That part of the scan often takes a long time.

Artemis detections are unknown but suspicious items that have been submitted to the labs for testing.

From what I gather you've pretty-well cleaned the machine of malware but in case you haven't, look in the last link in my signature below for hints and links.

If Windows was crashing prior to this then the problem may lie elsewhere but just in case I would uninstall all McAfee via Control Panel > Programs and Features

Run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot before reinstalling from your online account.   Also make sure that Windows, all of it including IE, is up to date.

If you are planning on upgrading to 8.1 anytime soon you should at least disable Real-Time Scanning during that process.

Personally I would treat it like a service pack in other OS's and  uninstall the software and reinstall afterwards as such upgrades can be dicey.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/11/13 6:50:25 EST AM
            • 3. Re: Mcafee crashing windows 8 laptop after installing, confusing bit: works on an identical computer.
              wildcard65

Well as I said in OP post it's now crashing on boot and the reply above might be part of the cause, I'll try to get it prevent crashing on boot then manually un-install Norton before installing McAfee.

• 4. Re: Mcafee crashing windows 8 laptop after installing, confusing bit: works on an identical computer.
                Peter M

Oh dear.  Use the Norton Removal Tool after regular removal.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_En dUserProfile_en_us

Crashing on boot would possibly indicate some driver or even hardware issues.

• 5. Re: Mcafee crashing windows 8 laptop after installing, confusing bit: works on an identical computer.
                  wildcard65

Well the computer had a hard drive replace and a refresh OS install so it can't be malware this time I do suspect it might be hardware or norton related.

• 6. Re: Mcafee crashing windows 8 laptop after installing, confusing bit: works on an identical computer.
                    Peter M

Well I wish you luck....hope it works out for you.    If you need general Win 8 help there's an excellent forum here run by a Microsoft MVP:  http://www.eightforums.com/

• 7. Re: Mcafee crashing windows 8 laptop after installing, confusing bit: works on an identical computer.
                      catdaddy

As I initially stated, since you went through the proper procedure of "Removing" the (Bundled) Trial Version of Norton, "Manually" on your (Identical) computer that was functioning fine. Before attempting to install McAfee All Access,as I stated in my initial post...I truly think that if you use the "Norton Removal Tool" and (Restart)...then Uninstall (All) McAfee products through your "Add/ Remove-Programs and Features", restart...then use the (MCPR) McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool, then restart Restart.

I would first run through a "Command Prompt" (Chkdsk/r) and make ceratin their are no registry issues......Before proceeding.

Immediately afterwards, I would go to your "Account" and  proceed to do a "Clean Re-install" of your Subscribed McAfee Protection.

By following these steps, you will assure yourself that (all) Norton -Symantec files are removed from your system. And hence, by running the "Chkdsk/r" you will eliminate any issues that still may be present in regards to your registery-Hardware issues.

Should there be any further complications, as Ex Brit stipulated there are individuals that patrol this Forum, that can assist you further.As I stipulated earlier in my response...I am no moderator, or McAfee Employee. Just a McAfee Consumer whom is only attempting to give you assistance.

I Attempted to "Edit" my initial response to you earlier this morning...However, only to get a (Prompt) stating that (I) was not allowed to "Edit" my response in this (Forum) ??????????

Having said all this, I wish you the very best of luck in your endeavors.

I think that it is time for me to "Fade to Black" and simply (Monitor) posts...instead of attempting to give advice.

As I stipulated from my (very) 1st post....I have obtained a "Wealth" of knowledge from all of the Moderators-McAfee employees-and Support...bar none.

This will be my last post.....

GodSpeed,

CatDaddy

• 8. Re: Mcafee crashing windows 8 laptop after installing, confusing bit: works on an identical computer.
                        manoj.kulkarni

I would suggest you to boot into safe-mode and uninstall the norton software. This should resolve the issue.