Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
521 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 6:04 PM by frankm RSS
frankm Apprentice 62 posts since
Jan 10, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 7, 2013 4:41 PM

Rackspace is claiming McAfee is causing SMTP connection issues

Rackspace is claiming McAfee is causing SMTP connection issues, because of a new group of servers that were recently added? Truth?

Frank

• Brad McGarr McAfee Employee 154 posts since
    Dec 4, 2012

Frank,

We currently have sevaral of our agents conferenced in with Rackspace Support and Customers trying to come to a resolution on this issue, but we have identified that the issue is related to Rackspace refusing connections from McAfee IPs based on arbitrary maximum congruent connection limitations on their network. Unfortunately McAfee cannot force Rackspace to alter their archetecture or accept connections, and we recommend customers of both McAfee SaaS and Rackspace contact Rackspace to discuss the issue further.

Brad McGarr
    McAfee SaaS Email & Web Protection
    Technical Support Technician I (Legacy & Partner Support)
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft Technology Associate - Windows OS | CompTIA A+ Certified Technician | CIW Web Foundations Associate
    Visit my blog: Brad's Corner - Insights from SaaS Email & Web Security Support https://community.mcafee.com/blogs/brad-denver

Frequently Requested Information
  • Brad McGarr McAfee Employee 154 posts since
    Dec 4, 2012

Frank,

I understand your frustration, but we have nothing to hide here.

Unfortunately the information Rackspace is providing is misleading. Any major environmental or archetectual changes that occur that will impact customers is communicated through Maintenance Communications and Service Alerts. No maintenance that would have impacted customers recently took place, and minor adjustments to the system are not communicated to any third parties, thus Rackspace would not have any way of determining if additional servers have been added, since all connections come from our two /21 blocks of IPs.

As stated earlier, we are currently working with Rackspace to determine what actually is the cause and to determine an appropriate resolution. I will see if our management team would be willing to post a service alert, but typically speaking service alerts are reserved for issues that our organization can control (e.g. a problem with the service, not a problem with an unrelated organization).

Brad McGarr
    McAfee SaaS Email & Web Protection
    Technical Support Technician I (Legacy & Partner Support)
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft Technology Associate - Windows OS | CompTIA A+ Certified Technician | CIW Web Foundations Associate
    Visit my blog: Brad's Corner - Insights from SaaS Email & Web Security Support https://community.mcafee.com/blogs/brad-denver

Frequently Requested Information

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points